Helium Balloons

Hello

Recently i saw a lot of behind the scenes pictures of US films and i saw that they use a lot of helium baloons lighting (i mean the big hanged sources that looks like hugh soft boxs) - we don't have any of those in israel and i was wondering how do they work? are they 3200 K or 5600 K? whats the amount of light they preduce? where can i get them? are they used only to increase ambianced light? or they can work as a direct source also?

i would like to learn more about them cause i'm shooting a short fantasy film and i think i might need one for a few scenes.

thanks a head

mosh

• Premium Member

Here's a link that can give you many answers: http://www.lightingballoons.com/balloons.htm

I've used them and the are expensive. You need an operator, generator, helium tanks and a truck to deliver the whole rig. A producer once told me that the list price was $2500 U.S. per day. Yikes.

They are often used as ambient light or fill. They are not directional in any way shape or form so they are somewhat limited in terms of using them as a key light. But you can do that as well.

Good luck

F

Check out this company as well: http://www.airstar-light.net

We used their ballons on this film I just worked on. We used a non-hellium 4k HMI ballon (Sirocco) and the set-up was extremely easy. We attached it to a 6 metter pole, and then tied the pole off to a light-post. Worked out really well.

Another solution would be to try and rent an Arri X, available as high as 6k. You could attach it to a sky lift point directly bellow at the ground. Underneath the lamp, you have a pyramid shaped diffuser. Here is a picture of the set-up:

10.jpg

You can check out Arri's homepage for info on the Arri X, but I think a decent rental house should have it available, same with the Airstar Sirocco ballon.

• Premium Member

Okay the Sirocco "ballons" are cool BUT lets be serious here people THAT is not a ballon. It is a round chimera on a stand. If I want a balloon I want something that floats in the air, get's blown around in the wind and looks like a big 'ol balloon.

f

Edited by Frank Barrera

thanks guys, i learned a lot.

i realy don't need a helium baloon cause i can rig it on the roof of the location (a hugh warehouse) and i can use it with a 4K HMI source i just need to get/build the soft box for it which will be easy enough.

thanks again

mosh.