CLA 35 HD: HD Adapter for 35mm Prime Lenses

Ariel Glikson

• Premium Member
Hello friends,

I saw this this adaptor:

Angenieux With Carl Zeiss

CLA 35 HD: HD Adapter for 35mm Prime Lenses

in http://www.smsprod.com/products/lenses/angenieux4.html

Do you know it? any experience with that? any idea how much does it cost?

Ariel.

Pulled from a Zeiss White Paper:

Digital camera manufacturer Sony, striving to gain acceptance for their CineAlta ® High

Definition 24p cameras in the cine industry, contacted cine lens maker Carl Zeiss in

order to find a solution to the lens problems that were observed. This solution would

make it easy for the cine rental houses to add the High Definition 24p cameras to their

existing inventory and simply use their existing and proven high quality cine lenses on

the new cameras, by means of an adapter.

This adapter would couple a cine lens to the High Definition 24p camera, both

mechanically and optically. Optically, it would down convert the image from the cine lens

by a factor of 2.5x to fit it to the size of the 2/3 inch image receiver chips of the digital

camera. This would have to be done with virtually no loss in image quality. The resulting

product, the cine lens adapter CLA 35 HD, created by a collaboration of lens

manufacturers Angenieux and Carl Zeiss, compressed the image from a Zeiss Ultra

Prime lens for 35 mm cine, with a frame diagonal of 30 mm, to the size of the 2/3 inch

imager, with an image diagonal of 11 mm, with virtually no loss. The resulting image

showed 2.5x the resolution of the original cine lens and was 2.5 stops faster. Thus, the

aperture of e.g. T 5.6 on a cine lens would convert into T 2.4 with the CLA 35 HD. The

maximum resolution, output by the CLA 35 HD, would theoretically exceed 500 line pairs

per millimeter (lp/mm). However, the camera?s resolution limit, defined by the imager

chip?s architecture with 1920 x 1080 pixels on an area of 9.6 mm x 5.4 mm and

expressed by its Nyquist-frequency, is 100 lp/mm.

Optically, the CLA 35 HD approach was successful. However, it came with two

drawbacks:

? The CLA 35 HD, inserted between cine lens and camera, added some 200 mm to

the length of the lens and 1.4 kg to the weight.

? Also, being a relay it inverted the image upside down and reversed left and right,

thus requiring an electronic image inversion circuit in the camera.

Thanks John for this information.

so...I guess the p+s technik pro35 is still the only option to use cine lenses on 2/3 video cameras.

How come there is no competition to the Pro35? How come they are alone in this market?

or is it something I'm missing?

Ariel.

• Premium Member

so...I guess the p+s technik pro35 is still the only option to use cine lenses on 2/3 video cameras.

How come there is no competition to the Pro35? How come they are alone in this market?

Ariel.

Hi,

There are other players in the market, but it's a tiny market.

Stephen

• Premium Member

Ariel.

Well, though I'd read about the CLA 35 HD adaptor, before your post I'd never seen it in the market anywhere. If it's available, I'm sure it will work and work well. Unlike the Pro35 adaptor, you don't have the light loss issues and you don't have the spinning ground glass (for better or for worse).

J

Well, though I'd read about the CLA 35 HD adaptor, before your post I'd never seen it in the market anywhere. If it's available, I'm sure it will work and work well. Unlike the Pro35 adaptor, you don't have the light loss issues and you don't have the spinning ground glass (for better or for worse).

J

You also have an inverted image and no change in depth of field, which is the reason most people use these adapters in the first place. You also have a very long lens in front of your camera.

This device has been around for awhile, and there's a reason you haven't heard much about it. It functions fine, but its usefulness is limited.