Matching a Modern Stock with 7248 EXR 100T

John Hall

I have a couple 400ft rolls of 7248 EXR 100T that I am planning to use to shoot a small short film.

Despite being in my fridge since they were given to me (about 8 months ago), I'm sure they have fogged a bit, and am planning on overexposing by one stop to compensate.

Even though this will be a very short project (4-5 mins run time) I anticipate needing at least one additional 400' roll.

I'm aware that 7248 is a couple years outdated, and pretty much unavailable, even from recan sellers (at least, the two in Toronto I've contacted).

I was looking for some advice as to what stock would be a good match for 7248.

This is a telecine only project, no film prints, but I can't afford extensive post colour correction to make the stocks match.

All exteriors, so I will be using an 85 filter (or perhaps a partial correction as the filter + overexposure will bring me down to 32asa).

I figure my options are either:

7245 EXR 50D:

Would it match well with daylight corrected EXR 100t? Would it be better to give it the same 1 stop over exposure as the 100t or give it 2/3 stop overexposure to rate it the same as the corrected 100T (32 asa). This would be brand new stock, so it wouldn't require any over exposure, this would simply be to produce a better match.

Vision 2 7201 50D or 7212 100t (with filter):

Assuming that corrected 7245 wouldn't be a good match, would Vision 2 provide the most versatility for a colourist to work with. Is it easy for a colourist to emulate the look of a different stock? Would using the tungsten stock with a filter be a better match for the 7248, or should I just use the 50D?

What would you suggest? Is there another option I should consider?

I will try to minimise any mismatches by using one stock for wide shots, and the other for close ups.

I will be doing some colour and palette shifting myself to achieve a stylised look, but will rely on a professional colourist to do basic colour correction and matching. I will shoot a colour chart at the start of each roll in order to assist the colourist.

Just for the record this is a personal project, inspired primarily by the fact that I have some free rolls of 16mm in my fridge (which is starting to irritate my roomates). Going out and buying 1200' of one stock just to make it match isn't an option.

That being said, I'm not expecting to win a cinematography award, just trying to practice my shooting.

Any advice is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance!

• Premium Member

I probaly should not even comment :P But the EXR series is an older stock, and I suspect that the EXR stocks would go better together than any of the vison 2 with EXR. (There was a vison one series in there.

The EXR stock also mught be a bit cheaper as anyone using Vison 2 would want the Vison 2 stock, which folks have expresed the opinion that is is a great improvment on the older stocks..

:blink: As I say, I am not qualified to have an opinion. :ph34r: but without knowing any better, I would keep the genrations together :rolleyes:

I'd also probably go for the 50D EXR - similar emulsion technology, and the slower speed means that it probably has fogged less over the years (assuming more or less ideal conditions for storage). Don't know how much you'd overexpose the 50D, but if you were going for 2/3 of a stop, then you can rate that too at 32 ASA, if that matters to you.

The only other thing I can think of is the 7299, which supposedly allows you to dial in the "look" of any emulsion you want including discontinued ones. However, I don't know of anyone who's used it much, and I believe that it requires usage with proprietary Kodak hardware/software which may limit your lab choice and perhaps raise your post costs.

I'd consider Fuji F-125T

Note I have not shot this incarnation of the Fuji 125 neg but once when forced to, mixed 'n matched the previous generation of F-125 with 7248 succesfully - and that was for film prints so telecine could be easier.

-Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice guys.

I am going to go with the EXR 50D, partially because I got a good price on a 400' roll.

Probably not shooting for a little while, but I will post frame grabs once I do.

Thanks again!