Canon 814 xls trouble HELP HELP

chris beardslee

Hey everyone

i have a canon 814 xls that has been working fine since i bought it last year now all of a sudden it will only roll for a few seconds than stop and i get a red light in the viewfinder as if the film is done this happens even if there is no film in the camera. I am in new york and the only place that fixes super 8 cameras is du-all camera they asked when was the last time the camera was overhauled?

I said never and they told me it would be $350.. ok so i asked if this would fix the problem they said it "should fix it"

So my questions are:

has any one had this problem?

does anyone know any other super 8 repair shops in the US?

should i trust they can fix it by overhauling for $350?

What Is this camera worth should i suck it up and buy a new one?

• Premium Member

Hi, Toby,

I have been repairing all models of Super 8s since the late 70s (including all of Jesse Chambless's when he was dealing in them and all of Merchant Ivory's in New York over the past couple of months).

I give free estimates in any case, but I can't see charging you any more than $200-250 to fix the problem with an overhaul (clean, lube, adjustment) included.

You can email me off-list or call if you need more info.

Cheers,

Bernie

My 814 XLs is doing exactly the same thing. Feels like the hub isn't very strong when turning so I am thinking it's either the motor (bad I would think) or a belt or just plain needs a lube. I know the light seals are gummy so we might as well do those too.

I think I will e-mail you also. I e-mailed Spectra and one other comapny days ago and have yet to hear back from them. Maybe if we team up we could get a multi camera discount?

I hear great things about these Canons and in fact own and have used an 814 AZ and love it, it's just REALLY REALLY LOUD. I would like to shoot sound sometime so I bought this one.

I will e-mail Bernie in a moment.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com

Edited by Sean McHenry

• Premium Member
Hi, Toby,

I have been repairing all models of Super 8s since the late 70s (including all of Jesse Chambless's when he was dealing in them and all of Merchant Ivory's in New York over the past couple of months).

I give free estimates in any case, but I can't see charging you any more than $200-250 to fix the problem with an overhaul (clean, lube, adjustment) included.

You can email me off-list or call if you need more info.

Cheers,

Bernie

When you say Merchant Ivory out of New York, can you elaborate? They make all the arty classy films, no?

• Premium Member

Hi, Alessandro,

Merchant Ivory Productions has made lots of arty classy films for 40ish years (Remains of the Day, Howard's End, A Room with a View), but I confess that I don't know how long they've been in New York (I always thought of their films as very English) or what they've been up to lately since my head's in camera gears most of the time and I rarely get out to the movies! I haven't asked what all these Super 8s are about, but there are about 8-10 ready to ship, and it will be easier to maneuver here when they do.

Cheers,

Bernie

• Premium Member
Hi, Alessandro,

Merchant Ivory Productions has made lots of arty classy films for 40ish years (Remains of the Day, Howard's End, A Room with a View), but I confess that I don't know how long they've been in New York (I always thought of their films as very English) or what they've been up to lately since my head's in camera gears most of the time and I rarely get out to the movies! I haven't asked what all these Super 8s are about, but there are about 8-10 ready to ship, and it will be easier to maneuver here when they do.

Cheers,

Bernie

Merchant Ivory was featured on the TV show "60 minutes" a long time ago. They seem very competent at making lower cost but high production value films, and they seem to rely on character development rather than gunfire and explosives. I hope they are not embarrassed at being innocently outed for even possessing a Super-8 camera or two.

Just to keep this thread up to date, I sent my 814 XLS to Bernie a few days ago. He should have it today, Friday, Nov 3rd, 2006. I am looking forward to hearing that it just needs a cleaning. I know that's hopeful on my part but I am ready to shoot. From our conversations via e-mail and the info on the web site, I am trusting Bernie. He sounds like a stand-up sort of gentleman.

- I hope you plan to take something off for the free advertising Bernie : )

I also mentioned you in another thread here. Similar topic.

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...t=0#entry136221

Thanks again,

Sean McHenry

Edited by Sean McHenry

Hey sean i too plan on using bernie to hopefully resolve this issue

please keep me posted on the progress and the costs associated with it

anythings gotta be better than the $350 they want to charge me here in new york

not to mention im being tortured by the three rolls of vision2 sitting on my shelf ive been waiting to try out.

thanks

chris

Chris,

while I don't yet have the camera back in hand, I will say Bernie and Julie have kept in touch all along the way. I found out it was just in dire need of a good cleaning and replacement of the light trap foam which was likely the culprit that gummed up everything. Bernie tells me it's in fine shape and I will be really happy with it. He received the camera late Friday and around noon today, Monday, he called to tell me it was all better. Excellent. I'll be calling with my Visa card number tomorrow morning and hopefully be shooting by the weekend again.

I won't say what it cost as everyones work will probably be different but as I paid around $300 US for this one, putting the money into it, considering it's value in top shape, which I assume it now is, can go as high as $900 (as seen in a current ad from one of the major shops) Besides, it also came with the WA adapter and that makes up for a lot.

I plan on getting some use out of it and now that it's going strong I will be sure to get a few years from it.

You can see the other thread as well for more info:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=18225

YMMV,

Sean

By the way, you tortured? When this camera arrived, it had 9 (yes NINE) rolls of Kodachrome SOUND film in the bag, unopened.

If only anyone still processed K40 Sound...

S.

Edited by Sean McHenry

Just a note on the 814-XLs repairs. I haven't run a roll through it yet but I can say, it seems to be purring like a kitten. Got it back yesterday in the mail. I think Bernie did an excellent job as it seems to be pulling strong at all speeds with my test cart of K40 sound - AND fresh batteries. He replaced the foam seals and all seems to be wonderful now.

I'll run a few rolls through this weekend and send them out next week to be sure the camera is OK but Bernie tells me it seems to be in great shape. I am looking forward to shooting with it.

Bernie had to do some hand holding with me on a few things, like making sure I put in fresh batteries (OK, this film stuff is new to me). All is great and he and Julie were consummate professionals with a great personal touch.

5 stars and a big smile.

Sean McHenry