10bit,F900,JH3,HD Deck Link,Final Cut Pro???

Thatcher Kelley

This post may be off topic since this is a cinematography forum, not Post, but if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I just shot a short on the F900. I just captured to HDCAM tapes. I then used a JH3 deck to capture to Final Cut Pro 5 with the Blackmagic Decklink. I have a RAID hard drive setup that is fast enough for the footage. I set the capture settings to capture 10 bit. It captured and looks fine, but when I try and do anything to the image in after effects, it treats it like an 8 bit image. after effects reads it as "millions of colors" rather than "millions+". And when adjusting the levels and such it acts like an 8 bit.

Final cut and quicktime says it's "Blackmagic 10bit", and it takes up the same file size as 10 bit, but it doesn't act like it.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Is there a setting on the Deck or in camera for recording that sets it to 10 bit? I didn't think there was, but I can't figure out what else might be the problem.

Thanks,

Thatcher

Sounds like AFX is treating it as an 8-bit image. Try setting AFX to 16bpc mode - sorry can't remember exactly how to do this off the top of my head. I think it's something right Alt + LMB on the '8 bpc' box at the bottom of the project bin or under Files>Preferences.

Sounds like AFX is treating it as an 8-bit image. Try setting AFX to 16bpc mode - sorry can't remember exactly how to do this off the top of my head. I think it's something right Alt + LMB on the '8 bpc' box at the bottom of the project bin or under Files>Preferences.

Nevermind. I was at HD expo today and found out that the camera only records 8 bit. So it only makes sense that the footage would be treated as 8 bit.