Fastest Computer known to man?

David Calson

Hi, the amount of video footage I am about to edit has just skyrocketed. Whether pc or mac, what is the fastest computer available right now?

For generic PC users: Boxx APEXX 8

http://boxxtech.com/Products/APEXX/apexx8_overview.asp

Key features

16 processor cores

Up to 128GB of memory

8+ TB of local storage

High bandwidth I/O

The Fastests computer known to man I believe is in Japan... although it might have been replaced by now. It is simulating planetary weather patterns for the next millenia.

Edited by Gavin Greenwalt

Well the fastest computers known to man are super computers probably working for NASA costing millions of dollars.

But I'm assuming you want a fast PC or mac for editing the huge amount of video footage you have.

It depends what you want to do, build your own PC, or buy a ready made PC or MAC. If you're are using the computer for 'serious' use, then it may be worth buying one already made.

If you want to build one (customize it to your needs and save $$$) then I'd probably go for a new Intel Core Duo 2 2.66 GHz (extreme version if you have the money). The amount of RAM you need is dependant on what video you are editing. If it's DV then about 2GB 1066MHz will do the trick nicely. (Corsair is what I'll be getting)

Buying one pre-made gives you the opportunity to take out warranty. And if you have any problems customer support is a phone call away. This is probably better if you're not so savvy with computers.

If you want one pre-made then it's just down to what make to go for. Dell are good, just watch out incase they don't explode...

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/del...ames-182257.php

Infact, if you have the money but aren't that savvy with computers, get a MAC. They are fast, reliable and user friendly. They just cost more.

Also, depends on what NLE you will be editing in. If Avid, PC or MAC will work since Avid works on both. If Final Cut Pro, then Mac is your only choice. If Premiere, then PC.

Personally, I'd take a look at the new Mac Pro and max out the graphics card, RAM, CPU, and HD space as far as my wallet would allow.

Also, depends on what NLE you will be editing in. If Avid, PC or MAC will work since Avid works on both. If Final Cut Pro, then Mac is your only choice. If Premiere, then PC.

Personally, I'd take a look at the new Mac Pro and max out the graphics card, RAM, CPU, and HD space as far as my wallet would allow.

Also if you are looking to edit on something like AVID you can buy machines built by Avid which are hardware optimized. I.E. Avid Nitris.

Personally if I was buying a new editing system I would pickup a dual core Opteron. They're the fastest workstation processors available today, use less power and run cooler.

If you are editing a lot of footage, having quick reliable storage space is also going to be one of your main concerns. I would recommend getting a RAID server that has hot swapable drives.

I'm editing a feature doc right now and we have 75 hours of SD footage, about 2 hours of HDV, and about 30 min of uncompressed HD animation footage in the project. We have a stand alone 2 Terebite RAID server that is connected to the editing station by Ultra320 SCSI.

I agree with the others about what kind of box to buy, but keep in mind that you also need someplace to put all of that footage and have the ability to access all of it very quickly.