cost.....?

bboymute

hello

I am very new to all this and I am curious about how much shooting with 8mm cost.

cost of...

8mm color films, about 60mins (is 60mins sounds right for 10-15min short film?)

transfering to DV

ideal camera

type of film

place to order

and general advice or something I forgot

thank you

Well, let's go in order:

8mm color films, about 60mins (is 60mins sounds right for 10-15min short film?)

60 minutes is about right, a good 4:1 5:1 ratio. Using Kodachrome, you'd be looking at around 25 rolls, which at $14 a pop including processing would be $280.00. If you'd prefer a negative stock, they are $15 a pop plus $15 to process, so more like $750

transfering to DV

Executive Film in Canada is $50 for 10 minutes plus $3 per reel to clean and prep, so your raw footage would be $1250 for the transfer itself, plus $75 for the clean and prep. Another option would be to purchase a Workprinter from moviestuff, which start at $1000 and allow you to do the transfer yourself.

ideal camera

Beaulieu, Canon, Nikon, Nizo, Chinon.... pretty much any camera can be the ideal camera, just be sure it has the right facilities, like a flash synch, 24fps running speed, and a clean lens.

type of film

I listed both reversal (kodachrome) and negative films up there. For negative, I assume the Vision 200T.

place to order

kodak directly

and general advice or something I forgot

Don't look to Super8 as a way to cheap your way in. It can cost just as much as 16mm. The key with Super8 is that the equipment itself is cheaper than 16mm, a brand new Beaulieu can be had for under $5k with all of the bells and whistles known to man. Try that with your typical 16mm Arri. I'd also look at Super-Duper 8, that is a widened-gate Super8, giving you 13% more film exposed as well as going to a 16:9 ratio. Basically a Super16'izing of Super8. If you're going to be shooting Super8 regularly, get a Workprinter. The cost savings over the long haul can be extreme.

• Premium Member

I'm confused on the film transfer rate.

If it's 10 minutes for $50.00, then 60 minutes would be $300.00 plus tape stock, not $1,250.

Also, if you want the K-40 developed as quickly as possible, Dwanyes will run you 10.00 a cartridge.

so subtract $900.00 and add $250.00

I'm confused on the film transfer rate.

If it's 10 minutes for $50.00, then 60 minutes would be $300.00 plus tape stock, not $1,250.

Also, if you want the K-40 developed as quickly as possible, Dwanyes will run you 10.00 a cartridge.

so subtract $900.00 and add $250.00

DOH! Thank you there A, my goof.

And I assumed he was speaking "as cheaply as possible" rather than speedily as possible.