What gel do i use to match chicago street lights

Wow this is awesome. I love the feed back I will have to do a test run of these mixture of gels. I have another question and probably a loaded one. If I want to shed light on the people in the scene without changing the over all feel of the scene. What lights would best work? HMI, tungsten and what power 1k 2k or more?

I would love to hear your suggestion.

----------------------

Jose Fonseca

josef@klipartstudio.com

http://www.klipartstudio.com

Edited by Jose Fonseca

• Premium Member

generally speaking that "sodium vapor look" is much closer to 3200K so Tungsten units are ideal. the wattage is dependent upon how far away you can or wish to place the unit. typically a 2K about thirty feet up (street light height) will do you well with a 500 ASA rating once you slap on your gel package which may or may not include a little diffusion. or no diffusion if you are using a fresnel. putting it on a Variac may help final adjustments and the ensuing color temp shift may be appealing.

if you decide to go HMI then you would start by adding full CTO just to get you closer to the color temp of the street lights. then you start asking yourself,"why am i using an HMI?"

f

I am currently working on a music video and need to match the color of the street light. I was curious if anyone can direct me to the gel I will need to purchase.

Super White Flame made by LEE (number..?) is a great match for Sodium Vapor. Although it does knock your fixtures down by about 1 1/2 - 2 stops.

Michael Gioulakis

DP/Gaffer

Thanks everyone,

I am doing the video shoot this weekend. I will share my results when I am done. Once again the community comes to the rescue. Thanks to all that gave me input.

Here is the equiptment I am bring along on the shoot.

Arri kit:

2 1k lights with Chimera

1 650w

1 300w

2 6x6 silks

4 combo stands

2 4x8 foam boards

6500w generator

and many diffenent gels

----------------------

Jose Fonseca

josef@klipartstudio.com