The Thin Red Line

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Andy,

I've seen "The Thin Red Line" at Border's here in Camp Hill,PA.

You just reminded me that I want to pick it up! Great film -color,

framing,camera moves,story. Hope you can find it,if not e-mail me

at Pd-170user@yahoo.com and I'll send a copy to you.

Happy Shooting!

i love this movie for a bunch of reasons. but, and i hate to detract from it at all, i think if terrance malick has a downside it's that his movies seem to overreach artistically. in other words they insinuate profundity while being a little light intellectually.

again, i think he does many great things, but in the end avoiding interviews is more about necessity, and less about artistic singularity.

at the risk of being redundant, let me state my caveat one more time: mallik does a great job of, among other things, avoiding tired narrative schemes. also, he tackles a pretty abstract theme in trying to demonstrate the inevitability of combat and struggle in life. still, when measured against the giants of film history it fails to succeed completely, and my only point is that this may explain his reluctance to give interviews.

jk :ph34r:

still, when measured against the giants of film history it fails to succeed completely, and my only point is that this may explain his reluctance to give interviews.

When it comes to The Thin Red Line, I think he's as interesting to me as any of the giants , really. Well on one (theatrical) viewing anyway. No, on some level maybe it's not a "

complete success" but I don't care.

I have to say I've been reluctant to rent this on DVD, that film just seems to need the space of a real screen. *

Days of Heaven, I have mixed feelings but again it really is something to look at.

Badlands is exemplary.

-Sam

* Pocahontas in 65/70, I'm down with that !