Wide Exterior Shots

Jonathan Bryant

On Monday we have a project where we will be filming a new building product. There will be a good bit of wide exterior shots. What tips would you give on keeping contrast down and making a nice look on video? We will start early and I will probably pull out a gradient ND filter. But without the budget for huge HMI lighting, what other things could I do to make wide exterior shots of homes look good on video?

Jonathan,

What camera are you using?

Make sure you don't overexpose. You may need to throw some ND on the camera and use zebra settings. If your camera has a number of gamma settings, there is probably one that will give you largest dynamic range for the high contrast situations.

There will be lots of sunlight. Use reflectors when shooting people to fill in the shadows.

Josh

Jonathan,

What camera are you using?

Make sure you don't overexpose. You may need to throw some ND on the camera and use zebra settings. If your camera has a number of gamma settings, there is probably one that will give you largest dynamic range for the high contrast situations.

There will be lots of sunlight. Use reflectors when shooting people to fill in the shadows.

Josh

Sony DSR500, when I lower the gamma it makes it look to dull and mushy. People are no problem, I am just wondering what things I can do to make the building look good. Thanks