cinematography

bhaskar

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Quoting the definition given by John Hora, ASC in the ASC Manual:

?Cinematography is a creative and interpretive process that culminates in the authorship of an original work of art rather than the simple recording of a physical event. Cinematography is not a subcategory of photography. Rather, photography is but one craft that the cinematographer uses in addition to other physical, organizational, managerial, interpretive and image-manipulating techniques to effect one coherent process. These visual images for the cinema, extending from conception and preproduction through postproduction to the ultimate presentation and all processes that may affect these images, are the direct responsibility and interest of the cinematographer.?

You have found this website which offers a wealth of information. Start by reading the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Then continue on to all the other forums. If you have a specific question after reading something that you don't understand then use the SEARCH function to find your answer. If you still cannot find what you're looking for then post a question in the appropriate forum.

But more importantly you must grab a motion picture film camera or a video camera and start experimenting. Find someone who is interested in directing and/or writing and shoot a short project. Learn how to edit so that you can see how your choices as a camera man effect the editing process in terms of telling a story.

There is a lot of film production in India. Do what ever you have to do to get a job on set. Watch. And learn.

good luck

f

Quoting the definition given by John Hora, ASC in the ASC Manual:

?Cinematography is a creative and interpretive process that culminates in the authorship of an original work of art rather than the simple recording of a physical event. Cinematography is not a subcategory of photography. Rather, photography is but one craft that the cinematographer uses in addition to other physical, organizational, managerial, interpretive and image-manipulating techniques to effect one coherent process. These visual images for the cinema, extending from conception and preproduction through postproduction to the ultimate presentation and all processes that may affect these images, are the direct responsibility and interest of the cinematographer.?

You have found this website which offers a wealth of information. Start by reading the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Then continue on to all the other forums. If you have a specific question after reading something that you don't understand then use the SEARCH function to find your answer. If you still cannot find what you're looking for then post a question in the appropriate forum.

But more importantly you must grab a motion picture film camera or a video camera and start experimenting. Find someone who is interested in directing and/or writing and shoot a short project. Learn how to edit so that you can see how your choices as a camera man effect the editing process in terms of telling a story.

There is a lot of film production in India. Do what ever you have to do to get a job on set. Watch. And learn.

good luck

f

Dear frank,

thank you great info, iam bit confusion, because the thing is how i'l start? i'l start with institute or i have to work under with somebody [dp]. wat u i'l say, witch is the best one

• Premium Member
i'l start with institute or i have to work under with somebody [dp]. wat u i'l say, witch is the best one

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the CINEMATOGRAPHY EDUCATION forum. Here is just one thread: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=13659

As a matter of fact this question belongs in that forum.

But here's my answer: Me and a good friend decided to go to film school to learn to be cameramen. My good friend thought it was silly so he dropped out and just started to work on any set he could find. I remained to recieve my BFA in cinematography. The result? He doesn't know much about German Expressionism but his DP career is about four years ahead of mine. I do not regret my decision and he does not regret his. We both went with our instincts and we did what felt most comfortable to us. So, perhaps that is the answer: Do what your instincts tell you. Because what is right for one person may not be right for another.

f

• Premium Member
hi frank

i red your interview in american cinematographer and found it very interesting

in what direction are you working on now?

In Annie Hall, Woody Allen says, "A relationship is like a shark: it has to constantly move forward or it dies."

I look at my career in the same fashion. To answer your question; I am moving forward.

F

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the CINEMATOGRAPHY EDUCATION forum. Here is just one thread: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=13659

As a matter of fact this question belongs in that forum.

But here's my answer: Me and a good friend decided to go to film school to learn to be cameramen. My good friend thought it was silly so he dropped out and just started to work on any set he could find. I remained to recieve my BFA in cinematography. The result? He doesn't know much about German Expressionism but his DP career is about four years ahead of mine. I do not regret my decision and he does not regret his. We both went with our instincts and we did what felt most comfortable to us. So, perhaps that is the answer: Do what your instincts tell you. Because what is right for one person may not be right for another.

f

Dear frank

could u tell me something about this, 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 2.37:1, 2.40:1, 2.66:1 what is this and how i'l find out in feature film's

i saw the list of recommended films , and ... someone posted Amelie Poulin !

ok , whatever i think it s a bad moovie , i was wondering how comes no one recomends any Eisensteins .

any one saw Ivan Grozny from SM Eisenstein ? it s the impossible film .

i agree someone could say ; old fashion or old school . still it s a master piece and a film that modified the history of cinema , and cinematography , the editing , the theories and much more .