Spirit and Shadow

Alessandro Machi

• Premium Member

Can a Spirit be run at 2K instead of 4K?

Is a Spirit at 2K identical to a Shadow at 2K, or is a Spirit at 2K better than a Shadow at 2K?

Is Spirit at 4K being transfered in real time?

When transfering to Digital BetaCam, is the quality significantly better from either a Spirit or Shadow as compared to a Rank Cintel Mark III that has been supermoded for the best quality possible with several add on cards including a Pogle and Da Vinci color corrector. If the Shadow or Spirit is still better, How is it better?

• Premium Member

Just recently Spirit introduced their new 4K machine, but they're so new not many

have them yet. So most Spirits can run 2K only. If I recall correctly they run HD

at real time, but true 2K is at 6fps.

The Shadow is basically a Spirit without the 2K output. It's a simpler SD machine, as

far as I remember.

Both the Spirits and the Shadow win hands down on 16mm due to their CCD Line

sensor. They're much better on 16mm than any CRT based machine. But on 35mm it's

a tossup - both are equally good.

I just watched some 16mm footage on the new Nortlight scanner and it looked very crisp.

What that machine does is transfer everything at 2K (or any resolution) to hard disc, and then you color correct from the hard drive. Added benefit is that the resolution is scalable and you minimize the time the neg is run backs and forth in a telecine. Besides the software in wich you color correct can do so much more than just correct - it's more like a mini-Inferno with loads of

possibilities. I think this will be the future.