Second Camera

Matthew Buick

Hello all, I've been thinking for a week or so now of getting a semi-pro video camera as a second camera for shooting test videos of different lighting techniques and conditions and possibly a couple of short films, due to the enormous cost of Super 8 film (reserved for special occasions).

I really don't like the cold electronic look of CCDs, and I was thinking, will Saticon Tubes be a viable option?

I heard they are warmer than CCDs.

The only semi-pro format I can afford is Hi8.

Thanks,

Matthew Buick. :)

• Premium Member
Hello all, I've been thinking for a week or so now of getting a semi-pro video camera as a second camera for shooting test videos of different lighting techniques and conditions and possibly a couple of short films, due to the enormous cost of Super 8 film (reserved for special occasions).

I really don't like the cold electronic look of CCDs, and I was thinking, will Saticon Tubes be a viable option?

Thanks,

Well then you should look into getting a Hi8 or even Digital 8 camera.

Kev

If all your interested in is camera tests, I have a 3CCD camera (GL-1) availible for $400. SO cheap beacuse it no longer zooms (a fault in the actual zoom rocker, you can service it for under 300, I just don't use it that much to justify the cost) but for light tests its definatley good enough for what your doing (and if you fix it through canon, you get a great camera for cheap)

Thanks,

I don't thing that a used dv camera will be very expensive and its better for lighting tests than hi8. I am not sure that Tubes are warmer than ccd. I also thing that ther is no way to shoot shorts with a good picture quality going under dv.

Thanks for the professional respones everyone. ;)

To my knowledge Tubes are warmer than CCDs, and if I'm picking Hi8 then I'l have a choice of both, I'll probably use it for a couple of films where the Super 8 look really don't suit, that's why I want a Tube camera, if anyone can reccomend any models that would be nice.

Thanks again,

Matthew Buick.

TO MICHAEL COLLIER : I think I'll pass on your offer of a Canon GL1, I wil need the zoom, I think, and I need a PAL camera, thanks very much anyways.

Bare in mind that digital and film see light differently. I'm not exactly sure what the differences between film and tube cameras are... Perhaps someone around here can fill that in for me.

And this Hi8 video camera probably won't have all the settings of the 8mm cine camera. (Shutter speed, ISO, f. stop e.t.c.) So it won't give a very accurate representation of what the 8mm cine camera will see at all.

How about a light meter instead? That way you replicate the settings from the 8mm cine camera and can perform multiple tests to see what's correctly exposed and what isn't. Now THAT, would be impressive from a 15 year old in this modern day and age.

Even if you cock up a few times. We all do it. I've just finished shooting a project. I screwed parts up that I'll never be able to shoot again. But I won't make the same mistakes again.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

I think a cheap video camera can be a great learning tool for lighting and editing. If you get a digital-8 camera, make sure to get one with firewire out so you can capture the video onto your computer for editing. With hi-8 you have to go through some kind of analog to digital converter.

Matthew-

Tube cameras haven't been manufactured in decades. You won't have much luck finding a Hi8 tube camcorder because AFAIK there never were any. Besides, do you know anything about proper setup and alignment of tube cameras?

Learn to light, frame and shoot with what you have available first.

• Premium Member
The main reason I want this camera is because of the large cost of Super 8 film, if anyone knows a way to get Super 8 CHEAP please tell me.

What are the current costs of stock and developing in the UK? Or in the EU for that matter?

Kev