Old Lenses/Experiences?

Allen Achterberg

Has anyone ever used any of these lenses?

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektagon's

Schneider Kreuznach Cine-Xenon's

They are in Standard mount, I believe commonly used with the Arri IIB/IIC Models.

Any thoughts? Warnings? What are they capable of really, if anyone has any images taken with one of these lenses I'd really like to see.

All The Best,

Allen Achterberg

Has anyone ever used any of these lenses?

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektagon's

Schneider Kreuznach Cine-Xenon's

They are in Standard mount, I believe commonly used with the Arri IIB/IIC Models.

Any thoughts? Warnings? What are they capable of really, if anyone has any images taken with one of these lenses I'd really like to see.

All The Best,

Allen Achterberg

Hi

whats the focal length?

BTW i own a scheider 50mm for my 2c I realy used it only once but the picture wasn't good. It is not very sharp as the zeiss I use palanars and sonnars and distagons. They told me tha schneider is good for b+w.

I tryed to give it but none want's it.

Hi

whats the focal length?

BTW i own a scheider 50mm for my 2c I realy used it only once but the picture wasn't good. It is not very sharp as the zeiss I use palanars and sonnars and distagons. They told me tha schneider is good for b+w.

I tryed to give it but none want's it.

the Zeiss Jena is 24mm and the schneider is 35mm. I don't really trust them, so I haven't used them.

Thanks for the reply,

All The Best!

Allen Achterberg

• Premium Member

Hello,

I have three of the Snotter Krudnuts. They're Ok'ish. As I understand it, they are such utility lenses that they are rarely in great condition. They have to be sent off and fully reworked to get good results from them... which can be more cost than they are worth. However, in prime reconditioned shape, they deliver a farely satisfying image. Some people find them a little soft. Yet, others love that slight softness. It may just be a matter of taste. In their defense, they are cheap to own, tough and fairly precise rings. I wouldn't turn down shooting any of my own movies just because they were the only lenses I could afford. How's about that?

Hello,

I have three of the Snotter Krudnuts. They're Ok'ish. As I understand it, they are such utility lenses that they are rarely in great condition. They have to be sent off and fully reworked to get good results from them... which can be more cost than they are worth. However, in prime reconditioned shape, they deliver a farely satisfying image. Some people find them a little soft. Yet, others love that slight softness. It may just be a matter of taste. In their defense, they are cheap to own, tough and fairly precise rings. I wouldn't turn down shooting any of my own movies just because they were the only lenses I could afford. How's about that?

thanks for the good reply. I'll give them a shot, see what they do. I just didn't want to shoot with them and have the image coming back looking like a 70's flick.

thanks!

All The Best,

Allen Achterberg

• Premium Member

I did tests on a lot of old lenses years ago. Can't recall all the different ones I did, but I do remember the Schneider Xenons had the most pleasing softness to them ever. They also had these great cylindrical flares in them when you hit them with light. Beautiful lenses.

I've also used a set of old Cooke Speed Panchro's that behaved much the same way as the Xenon's, except the flaring in the latter was even more organic.

I'd love to use old lenses all the time, if I could (on 35mm, that is), but often the speed of them make them less suitable for modern film work - they're all around T2.8 and upwards.

Thanks Adam, The ones I have are T2 and T2.8, that's fast enough for me, I'd actually most likely shoot them at a 4 or 5.6, I don't know how these lenses perform wide Open, I've shot a test with them, But neglected to pick the film up from Fotokem, it's been vaulted for sure, but I will eventually go pick it up.

Thanks!

Allen Achterberg