Exporting Video For The Web

Howdy,

I notice a lot of people these days are posting very high quality streaming video on the web.

Does any one know what tools/software and what settings are being used to achieve this?

Is every one converting their video to Flash?

What is the best route for Mac based users? Does FCP have a built in export for this besides just creating a quick time and playing around with the settings for web cast.

Thanks

R,

Flash Video offers the most compatibility between PC/Mac users with decent file size/quality ratio. You need a Flash encoder to create this type of file.

>more information can be found here: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/video_guide.html

Quicktime 7 (h.264) offers outstanding quality with low file sizes. FCP utilizes Quicktime Pro, and can export using "Quicktime Conversion"

>find more information here: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/faq.html

>>tip from "Beaver" @ MoGraph.net : I still like to use Sorensen 3 since there's still that fringe out there that's still on QT6.

Frame Rate: Current

Keyframes: Automatic

Compressor Quality: Best

Data Rate: Restrict to 6400 (this is the one variable that I usually mess with to get the best quality / file size, everything else I tend to leave alone)

I usually resize to 400 x 300 - it's a good medium size, but do whatever you want - offer multiple sizes if you want it's up to you.

For sound I use AAC Stereo 44.1 / 96 bit rate and I don't bother with the advanced settings.

Finally, check "prepare for internet streaming" and use Fast Start Compressed Header.

If you do an h.264 version, make sure you're using multi-pass and frame re-ordering to get the best file size / quality ratio. Everything else should be pretty much the same, and try to tweak it by adjusting the video data rate. 6400 will usually give you some pretty big files, but it looks super clean. I tend to use that as a max, and go down from there, and see how far I can go down before the compression really starts to bother me. It's just about finding a happy medium.<<<

Hope this helps.

~J

Yeah, QT 7 appears to have some excellent options. File sizes are very small and I've run some tests on the streaming and it seems ok with "modern" computers.

Thanks

R,