Please recommend a good wire lapel mike

John Adolfi

• Premium Member
Please don't say radio shack. I just would like to pick up two good lapel mics. Not the wireless type. To be used for interviews.

I've got a pair of Shure SM93's that I've used quite a bit with good results. A head's up: They're condenser mikes and require 12 to 52 volts phantom power.

Anything that starts with "S" - Shure, Sony, Sennheiser, all good mics. If you need to run a sound reinforcement system from them, get a cardioid or hypercardioid, otherwise (recording only) omni mics are more forgiving of placement. Proper placement is critical - a couple inches makes the difference between a clear voice and a noisy wall of mud.

• Premium Member
I'd trust a qualified sound person with Radio Shack mics over an unqualified one using any other mic out there.

In my experience, I've never known a RS mike to be of any quality whatsoever. They seem to specialize in selling microphones that look like professional microphones but have very poor performance. For instance: RS's DM-558B looks like a Shure Beta 58 but sounds like it uses the lid from a can of Del Monte Peaches for a diaphragm.

• Premium Member
Please don't say radio shack. I just would like to pick up two good lapel mics. Not the wireless type.

To be used for interviews.

Thanks.

I have a set of Tram TR-50's (these are about 6-7 years old now). In all my gear, they are one thing I can always count on.

• Premium Member
In my experience, I've never known a RS mike to be of any quality whatsoever. They seem to specialize in selling microphones that look like professional microphones but have very poor performance. For instance: RS's DM-558B looks like a Shure Beta 58 but sounds like it uses the lid from a can of Del Monte Peaches for a diaphragm.

I can't speak for the quality of Radio Shack's dynamic mics, but it's possible to get useful production dialogue pickups utilizing some of their electret condensers, which can come in the form of lapel, stand mounted, or boundary style. Of course, if money is no object, then it's hard to go wrong with Sennheiser.