shooting projected image

We'll be shooting a screen with a 16mm film projected onto it. The projector is just a run-of-the-mill projector so it doesn't have any timing adjustments on it. I'll be shooting super 16 on the XTR prod.

What is the best way to adjust the camera to ensure that the shutter isn't cutting off too much of the projected image?

Some options I've come up with are:

1. Undercranking -- Shoot slower than 24 fps to have the shutter open long enough to get more of the projected image onto the neg.

Problem -- the projected image will be moving faster than normal, but I may be able to live with that if it's not too jarring.

2. Trim the Shutter -- the XTR prod has an adjustable shutter, I read in another post that some one set the shutter to 210 degrees. That would give more light to the neg but would it help with timing to the projector?

Also, as a bonus, both of these would help since I need to squeeze more light off the projector's screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks-

Christian

Ask your AC how to sync camera, I remember how to do it on SR3 with 50 Hz i tried it with TV hope it's gonna be the same with projected image, get the safe fps, angle combination [in EU (most of it) you choose 25 fps] and use phase button to remove the flickering bar from the screen I remember you had to move it down the screen until it disappears.

From what I heard it could be different issue with each camera, with some of them you have to see the flickering in the eyepiece in others you have to move the bar up.

hope this helps even though it's not exactly what you asked for. search archives, try google ask your ac, or if you have enough raw stock try every combination keeping the safe shutter/fps combo.

good luck

Carlos

PS I don't think it's possible to have shutter set to 210 on aaton, I did some research on cameras which have wider than 180 shutter angle and guess the last which had this angle was mitchell

Edited by cruz