Cable release problem with K3

Patrick Cooper

I'm experiencing great difficulty using a cable release with my Krasnogorsk 3. I'm referring to the cable release socket in the shutter button at the front of the camera, not the single frame socket at the back of the camera. When I first bought this camera, it worked perfectly fine with a cable release. Then there was a period of neglect in which i didnt use the K3 for at least two years. Now, that I am using it again, I find that when I screw a cable release into the shutter button and press the cable release, the shutter button partially pops out and the camera doesn't run. Though it runs fine when I push the shutter button with my finger. Has anyone else experienced this with their K3?

Yes, I am using a different cable release to the one that was used originally with the K3. Though that older cable release is long gone. If the current cable release I am using is too short, then that is certainly odd. For this is the same cable release that I use successfully on my Koni Omega medium format 6x7 camera. And this 6x7 camera requires a cable release with a fairly long 'throw'.

I measured a cable release that I tested on a k3 and the pin at the end of the it needs to extend about 7/16" or about 12mm in order to trigger the shutter. I've also notice that any cable release used on a k3 needs to fairly strong in order to be able to trigger it. Some of the cloth covered ones will break or rip with some use. The metal mesh covered ones with plastic seem to be the strongest.