dvcpro HD 720 25p

Mr. Macgregor

Is there any way i can capture/edit footage via firewire recorded with a Varicam at 720/25p? Avid does not seem to do it. FCP can do it now?

It seems i am not going to be able to sleep tonight.

We shoot 5 tapes thinking FCP had solved the 25 compatiblity but it seems still it has not been released any update that can handle 720 25p.

:(

sorry to hear that,

had the EXACT same problem on my last shoot, we had to bring the tapes down to london and sort it out there...unfortunately the FCP system needs the HD upgrade

all the best

Freddie

I juste read this: "FCP does not support DVCPRO HD 720p25 capture from or output to tape."

SO what did you do finally? I´m fckd.

• Premium Member
I juste read this: "FCP does not support DVCPRO HD 720p25 capture from or output to tape."

SO what did you do finally? I´m fckd.

Hi Mac,

It's just so much safer to shoot on film! than on those state of the art cameras without a proper workflow :D

Stephen

Is there any way i can capture/edit footage via firewire recorded with a Varicam at 720/25p? Avid does not seem to do it. FCP can do it now?

It seems i am not going to be able to sleep tonight.

We shoot 5 tapes thinking FCP had solved the 25 compatiblity but it seems still it has not been released any update that can handle 720 25p.

Set up the project) as 50p. It will be the same thing as 25p because each frame will be repeated twice, but the sequence will play at the correct speed. In fact, 720p/25 doesn't exist as a video format - only 720p/50 does. 25p - as with 24p - is really only relevant during production, because it forces the camera (NOT the recorder) to operate in a true 25 (or 24) frame capture mode, giving you considerably different motion rendition than 50p (or 60p). Once you're into post, particularly in the 25 frame world, it's unimportant, because the video needs to played as 50p by definition. The look you got by shooting 25p will still be there. Even if you need to ultimately produce a 25p sequence (say, for film recording), you can do it by doubling the speed (thus eliminating the duplicate frames) and conforming the result to 25 frames per second.

Hi Mac,

It's just so much safer to shoot on film! than on those state of the art cameras without a proper workflow :D

Stephen

i hate to say this, as a digital enthusiast, but Stephen is right...the main problem with HD is that you need to have access to the proper tools to get the best out of it, and unfortunately for low budget productions the costs in the end are almost the same as film (super 16). i had to shoot on HD because we wanted that look but when we estimated the budget suprisingly the costs were almost the same as super 16. FUJI and PANAVISION offered AMAZING student discounts and i was very surprised. i am going to take advantage of it on my next shoot.

MacGregor, the person before me seems to have a great point, i have never heard that technique. we just had the chance to do the job in london on a final cut pro HD.

good luck mate

• Premium Member

i hate to say this, as a digital enthusiast, but Stephen is right

MacGregor, the person before me seems to have a great point, i have never heard that technique. we just had the chance to do the job in london on a final cut pro HD.

good luck mate

Hi,

It was actually a little joke about 'future cameras' I think MacGregor will have got it!

Mike Most is probably the most knowledgeable person on this planet, when it comes to work flows!

Stephen

Set up the project) as 50p. It will be the same thing as 25p because each frame will be repeated twice, but the sequence will play at the correct speed. In fact, 720p/25 doesn't exist as a video format - only 720p/50 does. 25p - as with 24p - is really only relevant during production, because it forces the camera (NOT the recorder) to operate in a true 25 (or 24) frame capture mode, giving you considerably different motion rendition than 50p (or 60p). Once you're into post, particularly in the 25 frame world, it's unimportant, because the video needs to played as 50p by definition. The look you got by shooting 25p will still be there. Even if you need to ultimately produce a 25p sequence (say, for film recording), you can do it by doubling the speed (thus eliminating the duplicate frames) and conforming the result to 25 frames per second.

THanks Mike, but can i still capture with a 1200 deck?

Hi,

It was actually a little joke about 'future cameras' I think MacGregor will have got it!

Mike Most is probably the most knowledgeable person on this planet, when it comes to work flows!

Stephen

Hahaha, Stephen, we are all waiting for RED, or any similar product...

Sure. The 1200 - just like any other DVCProHD deck - only plays back at 50p or 60p in 720 mode.

But i belive the Varicam works in 25p only in a 60fps streamline. Strange.

Also on the latest upgrade of FCP i can read: "FCP does not support DVCPRO HD 720p25 capture from or output to tape."

So, basically, using a 720p25 DVCpro HD preset in FCP, will i be able to capture from the 1200 deck and edit? Is that simple? ;)

Edited by Mr. Macgregor

But i belive the Varicam works in 25p only in a 60fps streamline. Strange.

Also on the latest upgrade of FCP i can read: "FCP does not support DVCPRO HD 720p25 capture from or output to tape."

So, basically, using a 720p25 DVCpro HD preset in FCP, will i be able to capture from the 1200 deck and edit? Is that simple? ;)

Hmmm.

Check that. The 1400 plays back 50p. The 1200 doesn't.

Seems to me the only solution is to take everything in as 60p, then use the Frame Rate Converter to pull out the 25 valid frames, and conform to 25 fps. The Varicam clearly wasn't designed with the non-NTSC world in mind.