Newbie looking to buy Projector

Daniel Windham

Go with the big names and you will do fine. Elmo, Eumig, Bell & Howell, Bolex, Revere. if you think you may shoot R8 then go for a Dual 8 that will handle both Super 8 and Regular 8.

I checked to make sure a bulb was available for the projector model I bought and priced it before I bought off of eBay. I have a newer ( 70's ? ) Bell & Howell S8 and I also have a Revere from the 40's

Edited by Eugene Hughes

• Premium Member

Another good brand is Sankyo. I'm real happy with the Sankyo 700 I bought off eBay for $150 that needed a little TLC. All it needed was a new threading knob (I used a standard electronic equipment 1/4" shaft knob) and a set of belts to be 100%. Projector Recorder Belt http://www.russellind.com/prbline/prblinecom_.htm has belts for just about anything ever made that uses rubber belts.

I did home-telecine on a ELMO K100 SM and it was pretty good. The ELMO K100 SM has variable speed; this lets you adjust it to precise 16 2/3fps or 25fps for PAL and you won't have any variation in luminance... I also tried to slow down a 18fps-projector to 16 2/3fps using a dimmer. That worked as well, but the color-temperaur drops because the lamp gets dimmed too...