ebm dies after charging battery???

adam berk

• Premium Member

has anyone ever experienced having an EBM die after putting a freshly charged battery into the grip? My EBM was working just fine. In fact, just re-worked. I ran through one battery, then charged it on a new charger. Put the battery back in the camera the next day, and the camera wont run! The crystal sync unit's light IS coming on when attached to the bottom of the grip, so it seems that there IS power, but the damn camera just won't budge!

Not sure if this info will help but i had a bad battery experience with a Tascam DAP1 DAT machine...

Fully charged batteries would last only for about 5 mins recording... My voltmeter told me they were still fully charged, I suspect that the DAP1 had become faulty somehow and its circuitry was telling it the battery was about to die and to therefore go into standby so as not to run out of battery with the tape running ...

It ran off 7.2 batts - I solved the issue by using 12v batts with voltage regulators (+heatsinks!) adjusted down to 7.3volts ...

For you problem I would first suggest seeing what is going on with the batteries voltage wise - maybe they are too high even ? check the fuses also (they are prob in the base like they are in the EL, just remove the four screws)

• Premium Member

The four screws in the place on the camera where the power grip screws in? There are four screws there, but the plate seems to be part of a much bigger section of metal that is laminated together with the rest of the camera body. A fuse would definitely be a great thing to check, if it were findable. Is there a fuse in the grip as well?

Yes, check the fuse in the base by removing the four screws, underneath the camera.
Edited by adam berk

• Premium Member

it really looks like i'd have to slice into the leather to remove the base.... i feel like I'm really missing something

Yes that's the four screws. The plate doen't come off at the point you're thinking, but rather it comes off around the base. If you're lucky you'll find a spare fuse in there too. I don't believe the grip has a fuse, but I am not certain.

No, you don't remove leather. You're not removing the base all, but rather a cover blate to the base. Turn the camera upside down, and take out the four flat head screws. Now the base measures about 2x3 inches, the cover plate to it, measures just slightly less. It's recessed, and set flush, you need to examine the very base of the camera to see it. I mean the part that touches the tripod plate. If you examine the base about 1/8" from the edge, camera still upside down, you will see the seam where the cover plate mates with the base. The cover is flat rectangle. If you took the cover out and placed the camera on a table you wouldn't know it was missing.

Just take out the four screws and it may come off itself. Pry it out carefully if you have to.

• Premium Member

damn, you're a pimp

I would've never ever ever noticed that there was a plate in the middle there. I did have to pry a bit, but it eventually came out. The fuse WAS blown, but there was an extra in there. I'm just hoping I will be able to find a couple more of these things to keep around. The camera's working fine now.

Thanks so much!

I assume you taken off the round thick washer where the grip goes.