Heavy camera tripods

James Steven Beverly

Every time I go looking for a motion picture tripod I keep getting hits for lightwieght video tripods. I'm trying to find a good used tripod that will work with an O'Connor 100 head and be stong enough to hold up my Kinor 35H without a problem. What are some decient brands and models of tripods for a 35mm camera, something under a hundred pounds. Also are wooden tripods still viable or would one be laughed off the set should one bring it to the party? B)

I'm not certain that the O'Connor is Moy, although I believe it is. Either way, a Moy mount set of sticks shows that you mean business. There should be a bowl-to-Moy adapter plate if you need it.

I've used wooden sticks (and spreader!) before, but I'd highly recommend against it merely because they are beasts. Very heavy compared to the metal ones.

• Premium Member
.......Also are wooden tripods still viable or would one be laughed off the set should one bring it to the party? B)

Visual Products sold me a Miller wood tripod to go under my O'Connor 50D for a pretty fair price. I get the feeling they've got a warehouse full of wood sticks.

Every time I go looking for a motion picture tripod I keep getting hits for lightwieght video tripods. I'm trying to find a good used tripod that will work with an O'Connor 100 head and be stong enough to hold up my Kinor 35H without a problem. What are some decient brands and models of tripods for a 35mm camera, something under a hundred pounds. Also are wooden tripods still viable or would one be laughed off the set should one bring it to the party? B)

I bought a set of wooden sticks, mitchell mount from Visual Products for 250 for my Warroll head and my O'Conner 100. I think they look fine and work great too. Aluminum legs are very expensive and in my experience aren't much lighter than wood.

Hopefully any set where your Kinor 35h would feel at home wouldn't laugh at the tripod that supports it, unless it's totally inadequate and wobbly. I'd go wood. For the price you can't go wrong. Don't forget the spreader, absolutely required for Mitchell sticks.

Good luck. Any news on your viewfinder?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. Well this is the reply I got from the guy I bought the camera from:

Hello Steve,

I just contacted camera technician at film studio and he explained

that two knobs which could be adjusted when viewfinder is installed

are adjusting position of internal prism which passes light to

viewfinder. One knob rotates this prism and another moves it. And it

is rather complicated operation to adjust this prism into proper

position (when it gives bright picture in viewfinder). It is 100% that

nothing is damaged in the camera, it is only necessary to adjust

position of internal prism - this is normal operation for this camera

and in any event should not be treated like malfunction or defect.

Best regards,

Serhiy

I haven't had the chance to sit down and screw with it yet BUT I will give it a shot. The guy put this on my invoice:

The camera is in MINT- condition. Camera was serviced recently and is in good working condition.

Now, of course, it's not in MINT condition but I did expect the "good working condition" part to be true. I already told the guy that if the viewfinder needs to be fixed, HE needs to pay for it. I don't want to stick it to the guy. he got the camera out right away and was easy to work with but a working viewfinder is part of having a camera in "Good working condition" and I do want what I paided my hard earned cash for. So we'll se. He sent me a pic with the adjustment knobs indicated although the top one seems to be jammed and I don't want to snap it off so I will have to deal with that. I pulled it out and it looks like I could possibly use a little penitrating oil and a little light tapping with a small mallet to break it loose then go ahead and reinstall it into the camera. I put it back in the camera as is for now until I can get the time to mess with it.

Over all. that part of dealing with this camera is disappointing but what are ya gonna do. It'll get fixed one way or the other. If I have to end up sending it off the be repaired, I'll just have to bit the bullet and and take the hit. But we'll just have to see what happens. Please let me know though, if you have any input on the matter. I value your expirence with these cameras and it would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks-Steve

B)

Hi,

Could you please either attach the image Serhiy sent you or email it to me? I'd be very curious to see the knobs he's referring to. I haven't found it quite that simple to rotate the prism. I've had good experiences with Serhiy in the past so I hope he'll stand by what he sells. At the very least he should provide a translated repair/adjustment manual for the 35H. Hell, I'll pay you $$ for a copy of said manual if you can get one and help defray your repair costs.

Whatdoya say?

My email:

ian@iandudleydp.com

Regards,

Ian

I'm planning on buying one from Raf, but I'm trying to make a deal with him on to get several items at one time at a discount. So far he hasn't answered my emails but even if I only get these items one at a time as I can afford them, the manual is one of the first things I'll buy. When I get it, I'll just make you a copy and send it to you. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Damn, I'm feelin' better about my buy. I got 12 lenses, 3 of which were fast lenses plus half the freight cost. The only thing I didn't get was a battery and charger and I can buy those for under a hundred bucks! I wanted a power supply as well so no big whoop. Although, having the mirror re-silvered would have been nice :D . Thanks for the link, Amigo. I very much do apreciate it. We'll git er sorted out then I'm gonna put this beast to good use. B)