35mm Tk'd to PAL...is this common??

Marcus Frakes

Just had an appt with at the telecine. Here was this beautiful Spirit 2K machine, yet the producer called earlier and asked the 35mm reels be scanned in at PAL (720 x 576). Is this normal?? I know it's a commercial and will ultimately be broadcast in PAL but is seems such a huge waste to downres this much.

Also now that it's on digibeta tape, what type of video format is best to transfer to my harddrive? An uncompressed PAL .mov file? AVI? Will I lose anything by asking for these? What format is most likely on the tape now?

• Premium Member
Just had an appt with at the telecine. Here was this beautiful Spirit 2K machine, yet the producer called earlier and asked the 35mm reels be scanned in at PAL (720 x 576). Is this normal?? I know it's a commercial and will ultimately be broadcast in PAL but is seems such a huge waste to downres this much.

Also now that it's on digibeta tape, what type of video format is best to transfer to my harddrive? An uncompressed PAL .mov file? AVI? Will I lose anything by asking for these? What format is most likely on the tape now?

The commercial will most likely be transmitted in standard definition so transfer to DigiBeta as a CCIR 601 component digital signal is normal. If the commercial is for the UK, it will (should) also have been transferred as a 16:9 anamorphic image as all commercials in the UK have been transmitted in widescreen since 2000.

Unless there are good technical reasons to do so, transferring the film as 2K or HD if the final delivery will only ever be SD just adds post production costs without effecting the end quality.

Strictly speaking, the term PAL refers to an analogue signal and that doesn't exist on the digi. The term is still widely used for historical reasons but actually isn't correct.

The standard definition image will be 720 x 576 either 4:3 or 16:9, so digitally capturing an uncompressed movie of this resolution at 10 bits depth will provide a transparent path.

David Cox

Baraka Post Production

www.baraka.co.uk