brighten bolex viewfinder

adam berk

Is there anyway or does anyone offer service to make the bolex viewfinder brighter? I own an EBM.

I found this guy here

Anyone had any experience with doing such a thing?

I've talked to Bernie on a couple of occasions. He is a great guy, very comfortable to talk with and extremely knowledgeable. He has helped me with a couple issues. I am sending both my Bolex and my Kodak Model A for him to work on in January. He is going to laser brighten the Bolex and repair a lens issue & lathe out a set of sprockets on the Kodak so I can use single-perf.

Guest John Film Runner Smith
Is there anyway or does anyone offer service to make the bolex viewfinder brighter? I own an EBM.

I found this guy here

Anyone had any experience with doing such a thing?

Yes, it is highly worth the price. Alittle money spend for a vast improvement in your ability to produce better work with a lot less hassle.

F.R.

• Premium Member
Yes, it is highly worth the price. Alittle money spend for a vast improvement in your ability to produce better work with a lot less hassle.

F.R.

is it worth the extra light lost from getting to the film?

• Premium Member

are you sure? I'm almost positive that Bernie mentioned losing more light to the film and that it would have to be compensated for on the lightmeter.

You're not going to lose more light, you're going to gain extra brightness in the finder using the same amount of light coming in through the prism.

• Premium Member

You'll be getting TWICE the light(one stop) in the viewfinder after I'm done with it. Then I compensate for this by recalibrating the meter so that it's reading is REDUCED by one stop.

So you're getting MORE light in the finder. I've had guys go to revival tent meetings and thank the Almighty for the return of their sight!!

Cheers, Bernie