documentary with a panasonic nvgs 280?

oscar

hi people

i will start to make a doco about Asia, and i need some recommends about the camera that i should use. i was thinking to use the panasonic nvgs 180b, but i read that some body here said that the sound is really awful, and now i am thinking to buy the panasonic nvgs 280b.

is the sound of the 280 better that 180, or is the same?.

could the sound become better with a good external mic, or is it a problem with the audio recorder?.

between the 280 and the 300, what do you recommend to me?

Oscar Reyes (low budget traveler)

p.d.: i would like to edit the film when i get back and then sell it on to a TV company.

Ok Oscar. The first problem is toy cameras have toy onboard mics. They have toy plugs so that one good knock and any external mic is useless.

Second is the format. More and more travel stuff is being shot in HD. Asia is not that hard to get to now, why would they want a toy format.

The third problem, no offence is you. People perpetuate the myth that with a good operator any camera can look good. So maybe with my 20 plus years of shooting I could take a toy camera through Asia and have a product I could sell at the end of it but to be honest probably not. Selling doco?s on spec is hard enough without limited quality sound and vision.

How many doco?s have you shot and sold? I?m betting none as we are even having this conversation.

Buy your camera. Go on your trip. Have a great time. Just don?t kid yourself you will be able to cut together the home video you shot when you get back and sell it to pay for the trip.