My final semester project..one of my first projects shot on film...

Joe Lotuaco

Hello,

This is one of my first little short films I shot on 16mm film besides class exercises. I've only started shooting on film and I got much of what I know (or think I know) from reading these forums, so I thought it'd be appropriate to get a critique from this community.

It was shot with my K3 on a mix of 7265 (the exteriors) and 7266 (most of the interiors, some exteriors) b/w reversal. Unfortunately I could only afford a one light transfer, but it was a pretty poor transfer. It picked up a ton of contrast on some shots and I actually had to desaturate the transferred footage because it came back with a weird sepia tone and really odd green and red artifacts. Also, the matte from the transfer machine was visible and if it weren't for the widescreen mask I put on the final footage, you'd see the top of the frame at the bottom of the screen. But transfer issues aside, Id like to hear comments about the footage from a technical standpoint. It was an experiment for the most part as we haven't taken our lighting class yet and I lit the interiors with a couple halogen lights bought from home depot. I also realize I need to get my wide angle lens collimated as you'll see the handheld dancing shots are entirely out of focus even though the lens was set to infinity.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say as far as what things technically I need to work on for future projects.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ghqfwU8MM

It took a while to get there, but I thought the dance portion was excellent, especially how you made the man appear then disappear. Very well done compositions, and I didn't mind the out of focus portions of the dance, sort of added to the dreamlike state of what was going on.

The candlelit scenes looked good too, her key might have been a bit to bright to my liking, but still, good work.