hmi lighting in 220v countries

tanner wolfe

Hello. I am shooting a documentary in israel, russia and the u.s. for versatility i have chosen a joker bug 3 light kit ranging from 200w-800w lights. i know that israel uses 220v at 50 hertz and russia is 220v at 60 hertz. is this lighting package a good idea in light of this variation between israel, russia and the u.s.? what do i do to use this light kit overseas or is it not feasible. is there a good web-site that discusses all of these issues?

cordially,

tanner wolfe

• Premium Member
is there a good web-site that discusses all of these issues?

I'd say that this is a pretty good website that discusses all these issues...

Yes, the Joker Bug Light system is designed to operate anywhere: 90-265V/ 50 or 60 Hz. It has a transformer built into the ballast so all you need is the proper plug adaptor for each country. here is a site that sells different adaptors http://www.mindlogic.com/VOLT_ADPT.shtml I would do a little research and double check that you are getting the right adaptors.

happy lighting.

f

• Premium Member

I have a Joker 200 watt with an inverter ? it?s been to many international locations and worked fine. The plug on the wall is an issue when doing work out of country http://www.digitaltigers.com/international-power.shtml is a good web link to international power and plug types. Good luck

Hello. I am shooting a documentary in israel, russia and the u.s. for versatility i have chosen a joker bug 3 light kit ranging from 200w-800w lights. i know that israel uses 220v at 50 hertz and russia is 220v at 60 hertz. is this lighting package a good idea in light of this variation between israel, russia and the u.s.? what do i do to use this light kit overseas or is it not feasible. is there a good web-site that discusses all of these issues?

cordially,

tanner wolfe

All countries of former USSR ( Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and other ) have main power 220..230 v 50 Hz ( not 60 hz ).

We use SECAM, PAL TV standard with 50 hz frequency frame scan.

The base speed of shooting with HMI lighters and 50 hz main power - 25 fps.

We have many rent companies and film production companies in Ukraine ( Russia ) and you can rent of any film cameras, any lighters and have professional technical support and professinal crew.

We have film processing labs too.

I think, you need trust in regional film production companies and this companies can organize shooting for you.

USA use 120 v 60 hz main power.

The some HMI lighters have ballast with two positions of main power 120/220v or multi voltage ( 90..230v )

But, a some HMI lighters have version for 120 v 60 hz or for 220 v 50 hz main power.

That's why, you need draw attention on this technical details.

• Premium Member

Hi Olex,

as Frank pointed out the Joker HMIs from 5600K work on both 50 or 60hz on almost any voltage (90-265v) - which is why they are a wonderful little light to travel with. The ballasts are auto senseing and do not need to be switched for voltage or frequency. This is not the norm - most ballasts are not auto senseing nor this flexable in terms of voltage in.

If memory serves me correct I have shot with them at 25fps to 150fps at both 50 or 60hz without 'filcker' problems. It would still be good practice to run a quick test to check for any flicker problems prior to any job.

cheers

Hi Olex,

as Frank pointed out the Joker HMIs from 5600K work on both 50 or 60hz on almost any voltage (90-265v) -

If memory serves me correct I have shot with them at 25fps to 150fps at both 50 or 60hz without 'filcker' problems. It would still be good practice to run a quick test to check for any flicker problems prior to any job.

I don't know all technical details of Joker HMI ligher, but, if you told, what you use any speeds and don't have a "flicker" problem, i can think, Joker HMI ligter can have electronics ballast with AC-AC pulse converter type of power unit.

Possible, I'm not correct.

HMI bulbs have very short time of fireballs with doubled frequency of mains supply.

That's why, if i use HMI lighter i use compatible speed of shooting only.

From other side. Possible, you need think about Tungsten lighter.

If you will shoot with daylight, one 200..500W HMI lighter not to save the situation, need 3..4 pcs of HMI 650W or 1200W. The daylight films have maximum speed 250 ASA only.

The tungsten films have more high speeds 320..500 ASA and to use of tungsten lighters can be good idea.

The 3..4pcs of 650W..1000W tungsten compact lighets can be good set for documentary shooting.

We use one 650 compact ligter with soft box on top of camera and 2..3 pcs of additional lighters on stands.

Any way, about film shooting service.

The site of our film production studio.

http://www.thunderfilms.com.ua