HVX dropout issues

tanner wolfe

i am shooting a documentary very soon. because of budgetary issues the HVX has been presented as an option. i have heard of losing takes due to a dropout issue with the P2 cards. obviously if i lose even one take it could be disastrous. is this operator error or inherent to the P2 card/P2 storage system? i have used the camera, but haven't experienced these issues. let me know what you think.

cordially,

tanner

i am shooting a documentary very soon. because of budgetary issues the HVX has been presented as an option. i have heard of losing takes due to a dropout issue with the P2 cards. obviously if i lose even one take it could be disastrous. is this operator error or inherent to the P2 card/P2 storage system? i have used the camera, but haven't experienced these issues. let me know what you think.

cordially,

tanner

I've heard the exact opposite, that going tapeless means NO dropout.

While there may be no absolutes, this has been a widely heralded claim for tapeless

acquition and most people seem to concur that t.a. has much less potential for dropout than tape.

• Premium Member

There's another thread on here where we talked about it, but the issue appears to be something with final cut pro when you import from the cards. The workaround is saving a disk image to the computer first, and then importing that.

I've been using this camera for maybe three months now and have only had the problem twice, in the beginning.

Sorry I can't tell you any more, but I have editors that figure that sort of thing out. I just point the thing and press record. :P

Otherwise, I have nothing but good things to say about the camera. Invest in a matte box, rods and follow focus. It'll make your job a lot easier.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...