microdolly

tanner wolfe

sight unseen, i am contemplating renting or buying a basic microdolly kit. i am travelling for a month on planes, trains and automobiles. is this thing going to hold to basic use and also travel. it will only be holding a hdv video camera, so not much. any feedback on this dubious dolly would be appreciated.

cordially,

tanner

Guest Martin Newstead

The station I work for bought two of these, yes they are overpriced and you may be able to get a similar system more cheaply, but I couldn't comment on the quality. In my opinion they are great for quick setups, single person working or where you simply don't have any room. It comes with a fixed length, foldaway track and takes about 3 minutes to set up. You can get pretty nice results with it.

Marty

... this dubious dolly...

You seem to have formed an impression already. <_<

they are great for quick setups, single person working or where you simply don't have any room.

That is a very good summery.

Yes, it will hold up well for simple work and it packs down into a small soft case.

I work with one of these. Good for firm flat surfaces. Not that good for complex shots.

Extra lengths and curved track are available.

• 2 months later...

I just shot a 16mm short using the Indie Dolly system someone else mentioned. It was ok, not great, but far from bad. I got it free from a friend and I needed a dolly so it did the trick, but i think if you're going to purchase something build nice chucks for a skateboard dolly system that will pack in a briefcase or suit case, then whenever you land or arrive at a location just go to the local hardware store, buy 2 pieces of plywood and PVC pipe at desired lengths. It'll work better and be a bit more manageable on your travels.

check out glide shot industries, or long valley equipment. they both have basic dollies that I feel rival the cost and quality of the indie dolly and the microdolly. I have experience with both and was unimpressed with the add ons.

If you're looking for a cheap lightweight dolly, this might be OK, it can be problem sourcing a ladder on location.

It can be attached to a tripod 100mm bowl at one or both ends but I usually rest it on a big pelicase.

It costs £350.00 from a guy in Nottingham, UK.

Nick

post-12084-1173692921.jpgpost-12084-1173692941.jpg

Edited by Nick Bennett