Best minidisc recorder?

Keagan Schopfer

i have been using MDs and DCCs since 1992. I have used both formats in location recording with good results. on the MD front i currently use the MZ-N1. there are several new ones out now that can record up to a GIG of music on MD. you can get that much information on the conventional discs. they have a new HD disk. the top of the line unit is the MZ-H1(which is on my radar). price is US $399.00 i have sen it for much less on amazon and flebay. they also have a model with a 20 gig hard drive in it for a little more.

have you ever thought about using a dat recorder ? more syncing options over the MD.

thanks for the info, I checked out the MD's you suggested. What are the features that make these good recorders?

I haven't considered a DAT recorder just because I assumed they would be out of my price range (200-300$). And also, MD seems to have more uses, ie. conventional music storage.

What do you use to connect your mic to your recorder. A beachteck adaptor? do you have a favorite mic?

thanks again,

Keagan Schopfer

hi,

i dont have a favorite mic. i use a mike from sony that was designed for use with the MD since it has plug in power (phantom). its a condenser model.

the HI-MD just stores much more information than the conventional disks. it can also reformat the old 60/74/80 minute conventional MDs also.

i agree with you on the MDs. i have been using them since the format was fired up and it has been very good to me. its portable , lightweight (my current mz-n1 has a magneisum body) and random track access makes it a winner.

yeah DATs can be expensive and parts for them are expensive also. back when i started location sound, i was using the MD format and DCC format and DAT units were way expensive. i have a DAT recorder that i bought for the studio but the portable units were out of my price range then. so thats how i stayed with MD and still use it years later.

but back to your original question, the netmd recorders let you upload to and from the pc with ease via usb. i would atleast get the mz-N1 which is what i have. they can be bought on flebay for around $200USD or less. you can also try half.com.

hope some of my rambling helped...