traveling overseas

tanner wolfe

Gentlemen,

i am traveling to Israel for a small doc. shoot. i am using the joker bugs and the hvx200. i am curious about traveling with gear and possible unknown factors. my lights are in anvil cases, camera is in a pelican case and i have taken care of the carnet for customs. my expendables and a.c. kit are going in a portabrace. i have never worked overseas, so i have never travelled wth gear before. does anyone have any "beware of this or else" type advice?

cordially,

tanner

• Premium Member
Gentlemen,

i am traveling to Israel for a small doc. shoot. i am using the joker bugs and the hvx200. i am curious about traveling with gear and possible unknown factors. my lights are in anvil cases, camera is in a pelican case and i have taken care of the carnet for customs. my expendables and a.c. kit are going in a portabrace. i have never worked overseas, so i have never travelled wth gear before. does anyone have any "beware of this or else" type advice?

cordially,

tanner

Local crew will be you biggest worry. That applies anywhere as you're flying blind. Be polite but don't hesitate to be insistent. Local crew tend to be the dregs, the good guys will be working with their regulars so you'll get whoever the local producer has done the meanest deal with (do I sound bitter? LOL)

Make a fuss BEFORE you go with the local production. Dont let them take you for a fool. Travelling with the kit is common sense. Insure it. Be polite to customs..... even the TSA (is that me being bitter again?)

Good luck, Tel Aviv is horrible

I would agree with Tony, if you are using local crew, at least try to talk to the guys before to see if they know where they are standing. Customs is an issue, and a letter declaring that the gear is suposed to enter terrytory on a certain date and leaving on another certain date, it will sure help, sometimes they may think that the gear may be to be sold locally, so there goes taxation laws applied. Get a local producer that doesnt talk that much about himself or his achievements and that really looks that can solve, sometimes somebody that works with a local tv network or a local news cameraman is really a great help, and hire a driver with a van rather than a taxi may be less expensive, did you check out for your gear: is it 220v / 50 Hz or 120v/ 60 Hz or rather sometimes strange combos like the Caribbean 220v/ 60Hz?? before you blow your lamps, like that happened to a friend of mine who took his gear down to south america, before finding out about electrical issues. If it is a very 5 people small crew or less, shouldnt be that complicated, good luck mate!!

Oscar

Hi tanner,

I am israely (currently living in israel too :) ) and would gladly help you in anyway I can with any question you might have about gear rental/usage here in israel ,crew assembley or anything else. you can contact me through e-mail and than we can can continue speaking over the phone.

my e-mail is : badanos@yahoo.com