the spotmeter on the Sekonic 558

Hi all,

I own the Sekonic L-558 Dualmaster, NOT the "Cine" version. I got the chance of testing it with a kodak grey card, and the incident and the reflected readings (spotting from the card) don't match, as they should theoretically.

The spotmeter reads the greycard about one stop higher than what I get with a normal incident reading of the light falling on the greycard. Then I used my Nikon F80's spotmeter on the greycard and it read just like the incident, thus confirming the offset of the spot on the sekonic.

Now, I've read somewhere on the net, don't remember where exactly, that Sekonic calibrates its spotmeter to 12% instead of 18%. Is that true? And can I trust at least the incident readings to be correct?

I wonder if the "Cine" version has the same problem or this weird 12% calibration on the spotmeter is only for the non-cine sekonics.

And, finally, can I recalibrate only the spotmeter on the damn thing, to read one stop lower to match the incident on 18%? I'll check the manual, but it's gonna take me forever to find it, maybe you guys have a quick answer to this one.

Thanks you very much!