First experiences with Viper

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

I assisted on some pick-ups for a feature that I'm the FX editor on yesterday. It was the first time that I'd come in contact with the Viper and I must admit I was very impressed. The shots were simple (we only used 2K's and Dados) but the images were really nice and grade very well with the 35mm footage that make up the rest of the film. We recorded onto the S2 system- which worked very well (the kit came from Motion FX in London) and all in all it was a great experience.

However there is a problem with handheld work - due to the weight issues, plus the fact that the viewfinder was also problematic.

We had the Accuscene finder which although was very sharp and easy to focus with had a horrible strobing effect with even the slightest pan. It was also so ungainly that it made life very difficult when pulling focus. It was also obviously horrible for the operator/ DP to work with. This wasn't a problem when we were on legs and I doubt that it would be too bad on tracks or stedicam, but handheld- forget it.

Is this a problem anyone else has experienced with the Accuscene?

Keith

• Premium Member

That sounds kind of strange, I have not noticed any strobing with the Accuscene on an F900 while panning. But I wasn't really looking for any strobing. Try and contact someone at Accuscene and ask them what the problem might be, it could just be that the viewfinder was not set up properly.