Society of Operating Cameramen

• 1 month later...

Hmm, interestingly enough, despite having nearly 20 years experience behind the eyepiece of various cameras as an operating cameraman, my application for full membership was denied. The reason primarily was that my union classification is not "operator" although there is nothing in the membership requirements nor the official membership bylaws which require any union membership at all.

Anyone have any opinions/thoughts regarding this situation? My request for further explanation from the organization has gone ignored. My initial conclusion is that there is an inherent bias against non-narrative/film operators.

I can't answer your specific question, but I'm curious why you are not classified as an operator in the union? It's all you do right?

The projects I operate on are not covered under any IA contract. Also, behind-the-scenes (EPK) work is not covered under any IA contract even though most studios get away with insisting that we be IA (in any classification).

Bottom line is that I haven't had to rerate so I haven't. Regardless, there is no written rule in the SOC stating that IA class has anything to do with being accepted or not, however it was stated in a written letter to me that it was one of the reasons I was denied. It sounds like a subjective double-standard is being used.

• Premium Member

OK, that makes sense. Yeah, I've heard about the double standard of the studio's demanding the union thing, yet not signing a contract. Really strange.

It does sound like a bit of a double standard. Did you have someone recommend you for membership? I ask because I know an operator who isn't in the union but is in the SOC, so it doesn't seem like that's the only reason they've denied you. This person had someone recommend him, so maybe that could be the difference.

OK, that makes sense. Yeah, I've heard about the double standard of the studio's demanding the union thing, yet not signing a contract. Really strange.

It does sound like a bit of a double standard. Did you have someone recommend you for membership? I ask because I know an operator who isn't in the union but is in the SOC, so it doesn't seem like that's the only reason they've denied you. This person had someone recommend him, so maybe that could be the difference.

Yes, you have to have a letter from a current member. The reason given was my union classification. So far, my requests for further explanation have gone ignored.