25p on DSR 570wsp

David Bradley

Hello

I would like to acheive a film look on a sony DSR 570 WSP by setting the camera to 25p.

First of all could anyone explain what effect this would produce

secondly, anyone know how to do this on a DSR 570?

Why is there a shutter speed on a digital camera, shouldnt it be a shutter angle i.e. 180?

I've been reading all this film literature and I dont have a clue about video.

Someone please help!!?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I would like to acheive a film look on a sony DSR 570 WSP by setting the camera to 25p.

So would a lot of other people, but it won't do it. The newer DSR-450 will. All you can do is deinterlace in postproduction.

Phil

Hi,

> I would like to acheive a film look on a sony DSR 570 WSP by setting the camera to 25p.

So would a lot of other people, but it won't do it. The newer DSR-450 will. All you can do is deinterlace in postproduction.

Phil

I was involved in camera tests of the 450 for a film I focus pulled on recently. Both myself and the DOP, who came from an extensive film background, agreed that the motion in the 450's '25PsF' mode was not smooth. It almost looked like out of phase fields do when shooting interlaced. I have a feeling it is not true progressive at at all.

The reason video uses shutter speed in fractions of a second is because, unlike film, video does not use a physical shutter. Shutter speed in video relates to the electronic timing of the CCDs, which is always physically 'exposed', so it would not be correct to refer to video shutter speed in degrees. Some of the new Panasonics have a menu option that will display data such as shutter speed in cine equivalents though.

Daniel

Then something was wrong with either your camera or your monitor. The 450 has true progressive scan.

Interesting. I will have to make further investigations. We viewed the tests on three different monitors, so it must have been a camera fault. All shutter settings etc were normal.

Daniel

If you saw a lot of line flicker there are a few possibilities. One is that the detail level of the camera is set too high (even the out of the box default setting is set too high). The other is that in combination with the last point your monitors could not display a PsF image properly.

For example, take some of the progressive footage from the 450, and output it from the NLE to a progressive display, or render out a progressive DVD and play it back through component or HDMI to a progressive display.

You cannot really judge it based on composite on-site monitoring.

• Premium Member

Hi,

It's not a case of trying to achieve it in camera; it won't do it, end of story. It's an inherent characteristic of the chips and the electronics that drive them.

I expect you can probably deinterlace in Express, but I'm not intimately familiar with it. You can also do it quite easily with free tools like AVIsynth and VirtualDub.

Phil