Shutter angle for filming a tv at 25fps

Hi, I will be shooting a video for a french singer shortly, the director wants a shot of a tv included, I know the angle for a tv here (60 hz (I don't know if it matters actually but I'd rather mentionning it) ) shooting 24fps is 144 degrees, What would the angle be shooting 25fps? the same, 144?

Thanks a lot!

C

Shooting a 50Hz source at 24fps requires a 172.8º (or alternativly 86.4º, 259.2º or 345.6º) shutter as apposed to 180º at 25fps. May I ask more detail? Where will it be shot (mains power frequency)? What type of monitor are you shooting (LCD, CRT, Plasma)? What format/framerate will you be finishing at?

These factors will all affect your options and your needs in terms of sync boxes etc.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Christie

• Premium Member

You're shooting a 60i NTSC monitor at 25 fps? Or a 50i PAL monitor at 25 fps?

You do realize that even shooting a 60i monitor at 24 fps with a 144 degree shutter does not eliminate roll bars, only makes them thin lines instead of thick bands. They still roll unless you shoot at 23.976 fps, and even then, you can't get them out of the picture, so you end up with this thin line in the image.

In theory, a 150 degree shutter at 25 fps will give you a 1/60th shutter speed, just as a 144 degree shutter at 24 fps will. So you'd use a 150 degree shutter when filming an NTSC monitor at 25 fps to make the roll bars thinner. But they would still drift.

Thanks a lot David, again! I understand better what Daniel meant.

I will be shooting a 60i NTSC monitor (cathodic screen) at 25 fps, I am shooting for PAL but in Canada. I asked for a synchronisator to be added to my camera list but will it solve the problem entirely?

While I am at it, I also heard that plasma screens don't have the pulsation when you film them at 24fps 180 degrees, is that correct?

Thanks!!

• Premium Member

No, a synchronizer will probably get your roll bars to stop rolling after the shutter change gets them to be smaller lines, but the only way to get rid of the lines completely is to shoot at the true speed of the monitor (29.97 fps in the case of NTSC) or bring in a monitor that runs at the camera rate (for 25 fps, a PAL monitor, in the case of 24 fps, a special 24 fps monitor & playback system -- actually 23.976 fps.)

LCD screens don't flicker/pulse. Plasma screens might pulse but if you shoot at the same Hz speed, then it probably will be OK. So I'd see if a 150 degree shutter at 25 fps would get rid of the 60 Hz pulse in a Plasma screen that is showing NTSC.