Li-Ion Battery Comparison

Benjamin Treplin

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum has done some tests regarding Li-Ion batteries and different Manufactures? Like Anton Bauer, IDX, PAG, Sony, Switronix or Swit.

What made you choose a certain brand. What are the advantages or disadvantages between the charging systems? If I understood it correctly Anton Bauer and PAG use the charger only to supply the voltage and current and the battery electronics do the charging routine or like IDX, Sony and Swit the charging routine is build into the charger.

Comments are very appreciated.

Gregg Bubb, maker of the Ultimate Rig which is a Steadicam-like stabilizer sled, has an interesting page on his website that compares the different types of battery chemistries and their performance in differing condition. While I can't properly answer the rest of your question (and it's a GOOD one!), I can say that I'm a big fan of Anton Bauer products. Did you know that some of these battery companies own each other? There's actually a larger conglomerate which also owns several of the tripod manufacturers, among other things. Interesting, I think.

As far as my battery guru says LiIon batteries always have their charging electronics built into the battery not into the charger. With my Sony charger I can load IDX and Sony with no problem. The main problem for recelling is that in a Sony batt you can only use Sony cells because the charging electronics are specially built and designed for this specific cell. That´s why it is so hard to recell LiIon batts. The charger is a dumb device that will do what the battery tells it.

Markus

Thanks for the input.

Mitch could you specify which of the companies own each other? It is indeed an interesting topic.

I know Gregg's battery test and his webpage (I own a TB-6) like the back of my hand. The test results were one reason why I went for NiCd in the first place. My batteries A/B TrimPacs are dying know after 3 year and I didn?t get a decent cycle life out of them. A NiCd cells is able to deliver over 2000 cycles under labor conditions. Well, transferring this to the real world it still should be 800 to 1000. Taking high density cells (mostly used now) it should be 400 to 700 with good treatment and regarding the application or C-rate. Check out this link. Maybe I didn?t treated my batts not well enough but I went for those because this chemistry doesn?t need cushioning like a NiMH or early Li-Ion batts. Long story short I got under 100 cycles out of mien. Not much. 3 years, 100 cycles? I know it sounds odd. I started with steadicam 4 years ago I own my equipment a bit longer than 3 years now and in the beginning it takes a while to get in the biz. So except for daily practicing and annoying your girl friend and the neighbors, things collect dust. Now I?m settled a bit and I?m lucky to work a lot in this profession, those dam batteries die on me. Time for a change.

Markus who is your battery guru? Could he share some knowledge? I don?t agree with you on this charger slave thing. IDX, Sony and Swit batteries are compatible. It is possible to charge IDX on Sony or Swit and the other way.

It is not possible to charge Swit, IDX and Sony on PAG or A/B chargers and vice versa. And PAG used to be a open battery system. You could charge any battery (NiCd or NiMH) on a PAG charger. PAG and A/B do it a different way. You are right there are electronics in every Li-Ion batt because this chemistry needs protection circuits for charge and discharge. But the way it is done is very different.

Benjamin

• Premium Member

Hi,

So-called "high performance" batteries for professional gear often don't last that long. They absolutely thrash them in the chargers to get them charged more quickly, and let's face it - if they don't need recelling, how's the company going to make money out of you?

It is difficult to engineer a battery which will fast-charge gracefully - people like PAG and Anton Bauer don't make cells anyway - and there is significant business advantage in not making them too good. Why would you expect them to be great?

Phil