Aaton XTR Video Taps

Nicolas Lastschenko

Hi, I own and shoot using a Aaton XTR (1980's model). The camera is already fitted with an internal pellicule and beamsplitter. I am on the lookout for a compatible video assist and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I know of all the usuals; "Visual products", "AZ", "Abel".. etc.. but was wondering if anyone could recommend a unit I could just plug in and where I can find it/them. I came across a "Cei VPII video tap" a few days back but was told it was only 35mm compatible. Is this true? I would appreciate any information.

Thanks..

eagerly awaiting your responses/comments

• Premium Member

Generally speaking... a video tap for a particular camera is built for that specific camera, accepting the proper voltage, connectors and mounting or threading onto the right spot with the proper optics in place to work with the relay system already in the camera. You really can't buy a small spy camera and expect it to work with out a bit for manufacturing, machining and soldering. And have fun finding proper optics to feed into the relay system....

If you try to build your own, you will be miserable in the end. It won't be as nice or functional as a professionally made one. You have no support or warrenty and it won't look professional hanging off of your camera. That is something many roll-your-own type's fail to understand. Your client's (especially in commercials) perception of you and how your kit affects it.

Go with the Visual products video tap. It's one sweet unit.