links to indie animators / sites

Chris Graham

Thank you. I should've said 'anime.' I would like to produce a short anime, and I'm looking for some hungry indie animators who can do traditional or current trends for anime production. Something like a 5-10min. I'd love to go to Japanese sites, but boy is there culture so exclusive, and I doubt I'd get any responses in English. I'm not being judgemental, I've just heard that's the way it is.

So yes, anybody know if this is possible? I have a script. I will be doing my own soundscore in High Def. I just have no experience in producing or organizing an indie anime project, or cartoon however you want to call it. Is $5K for a 5-10min realistic in the indie spectrum? I guess it all depends on what I want in particular as far as drawings, fx, etc. thanks

I'd say 3-5k is more realistic for the 2-3 minute realm. The most time consuming aspect is the extreme detail that anime cartoons tend to have in their matte paintings and backgrounds. The animation itself can be limited, and still work well if planned properly.

I went to school for 2d animation several years back... and I'd say half of our class was interested in learning anime style cartoons, while the other half was interested in the more Western style. You may want to hit up an animation school, and see if there are any students interested in working on your project. It may help with your budget. If you live in a large enough centre, you'll probably be able to find some sort of program. The problem is, many traditional animation schools have been transformed to 3d.

3dcafe.com that's the big one.

Newtek.com

3dcommune.com

cgsociety.org

Planet3d.com

guru3d.com

hash.com

That should get you started. You could also do a search under the software your using, Lightwave, Maya, 3d Studio Max. Bryce, Poser, whatever. What are you using? B)

OPPS sorry, I didn't read your anime part till just now. I never did much with 2d. I had Coral draw but found it difficult to use and too limiting. I'll leave these up for everyone else.

... and I'm looking for some hungry indie animators who can do traditional or current trends for anime production. ...

I don't know about 'hungry' (as that sounds like you want them to work for very little cash) but if you are offering any pay then you could advertise for them at CGJobs (part of the CGSociety).

CGJobs website - http://jobs.cgsociety.org/

CGJobs is soon introducing a "Value Ad" - especially for those employers / projects where money is limited. The job ad would run for 7 days and with 2.5 mill visits per month to the site thats a lot of exposure! Keep an eye on the site and the Value Ad will be avail within about a week.

CGJobs also supports community / open source projects and will give free advertising to such projects on application - more info from me - tony@cgsociety.org