Making the Z1P kick ass! (Can I say that?)

Jacqueline Donaldson

Hi guys,

I'm probably shooting on the Sony Z1P (This is PAL) soon. I've used it before, shooting 1080i/50 and using the cineframe 30 function - the results were nice. I want to know how I can make this camera perform better.

Does anyone know if the Adjustments menus actualy enhance the picture quality or just add to video noise? I'm talking about the Skintone detail, Cinematone functions etc... I'm afriad I don't have time to do tests before I pick it up for our shoot.

I like to use a 1/4 or 1/2 soft F/X filter to soften the video look a bit. Any other Ideas?

Thanks Jacqueline

cinematone actually performs less image manipulation than the standard gamma as far as i can tell, i.e. you get a flatter curve, but the other settings pretty much all destroy the picture in some way. but, since this is hdv it's more about getting a look that's as close to the final format as possible, since there's only so much you can do in post. what look *are* you after? black stretch is good if you want a flatter look in the shadows, and skintone detail is good if you want smooth faces. color settings are better applied in camera as well. i like to use cineframe25 but if you have the time and resources in post properly deinterlaced 50i will be slightly sharper. as for the softening, it's not really needed with this camera since the lens is very "smooth". i wouldn't call it soft, but it's never completely sharp with detail turned down. i like to set it in the 2-4 range.

good luck,

/matt

Edited by Matt Sandstrom