HD Lenses

Gilbert Prowler

• Premium Member

Check with the usual suspects for their current and prior HD lines: Fujinon, Canon, Zeiss, Angenieux.

You'll probably quickly whittle down your needs to a few basic parameters; ENG vs. Cine style, zoom vs. primes, focal length range, and then of course price. There are lots of good new lenses out there, so you'll probably spend some time comparing the new ones to older models that may be cheaper.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't see the point in purchasing an HD camera and handicapping it with SD glass -- unless you've got one on hand and just need to start shooting while you continue to shop for an HD lens. Even SD cameras benefit from HD lenses.

I'm about to purchase an HDX 900 and looking for reviews of current HD lenses on the market. And is anyone using SD lenses on their HD cameras?

In my opinion you should only use HD lenses, why SD?? The best HD lenses are the HJ series canon lenses(well that one can purchase) good combination is HJ11 and HJ21

• Premium Member
In my opinion you should only use HD lenses, why SD?? The best HD lenses are the HJ series canon lenses(well that one can purchase) good combination is HJ11 and HJ21

I don't think anything Canon makes can be considered "the best." If you're looking for the best it's the Digiprimes and Digizooms. If your looking for more affordable then Fuji. Either way you're looking at spending a lot of money, might as well do it right.

• Premium Member

Our company just bought an HDX900 with a fujinon eng style zoom. Lens is sharp, not prime sharp, but sharp. It does breath, but that's expected with eng zooms. It's fine for most shooting situations and you can always rent the digiprimes if they suit your needs.

As was said, SD lenses won't do it any justice. I could tell a significant difference between footage i shot on our old SDX900 with an SD zoom and digiprimes. Hard to beat the Zeiss glass.

Good luck!