B/W vs Color Grain

This may be more of a question for John P., but here goes.

I am curious about the grain on 5218/7218 stock in comparison to the B/W stocks. Looking at the tech sheets, it looks like the '218 stock is very close to Double-X '222 grain-wise. Is this a fair analysis?

Thanks,

John G.

• Premium Member
I am curious about the grain on 5218/7218 stock in comparison to the B/W stocks. Looking at the tech sheets, it looks like the '218 stock is very close to Double-X '222 grain-wise. Is this a fair analysis?

Not a fair analysis, as in B&W silver image films the graininess is from the actual "hard" silver grains formed during development, whereas in a color film, the graininess is from more diffuse "dye clouds" formed around the developing silver grains that are later removed by bleaching and fixing:

Here is a good tutorial about graininess and granularity on the Kodak website:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...html#graininess

Some people say that B&W silver image films have a "gritty" graininess, whereas color films have a "smoother" grain structure.

• Premium Member
If you ever see Double X compared to Vision 2 with the color turned down, you'll see that's very far from the truth. I can spot Double X all the time, it's quite grainy. Vision 2 is amazingly low in grain esp. for its ASA (which is twice the ASA of Double X).

The granularity data is "true" as measured, but granularity measurements aren't the same as looking at the image with your eyes. In general, color films have "smoother" grain structure than a B&W silver image film, even if the measured granularity is the same.