HVX + 35 adapter + Arri Ultra Primes/ Cooke S4's

Jamie Metzger

Is this possible? I would think either of the lens set's would need a support for the lens itself, since both sets are extremely heavy.

I am going to test this out in a local camera shop, but I was wondering if anyone has seen footage, or used this kind of setup themselves? Does the better glass matter in a situation like this?

Thanks,

Jamie Metzger

Is this possible? I would think either of the lens set's would need a support for the lens itself, since both sets are extremely heavy.

I am going to test this out in a local camera shop, but I was wondering if anyone has seen footage, or used this kind of setup themselves? Does the better glass matter in a situation like this?

Thanks,

Jamie Metzger

In my experience Jamie there is little point in renting quality glass with the HVX/35mm combination because the optics in the system drag the quality down to a point where money is better spent elsewhere. I think you could get away with shooting Zeiss standards or if you need that extra stop (and once you pay for the lenses and adapter you are inevitably looking for that short focus look) super speeds. In my experience stopping down just brings the spinning filter into focus and it becomes unusable. Im sure if you wanted to use quality primes there would be lens supports available, I assisted on a film last year where it was shot Digibeta with the P + S pro 35mm adapter and a Angenieux (spell) zoom that weighed as much as the camera body. The lens bent the carbon fiber rails. The real problem was the way it put pressure on the adapter, constanly pushing it up slightly. All up the total length of the camera was over 5 feet with all the bells on. Im sure there are lens supports and that a good rental house would be able to stitch something together although I doubt you would be able to use the P + S rods. A big issue with the system is its incompatibility with most accessories and Im forever stitching different kits together to make something work. A little off topic but I strongly suggest getting a on board monitor with your package. I hope this helps...

Sasha

Edited by S. Whitehouse