Parts of Collateral shot with Viper and 900

Landon D. Parks

When I saw OUTIM in the movie theater. I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe I was just the unlucky one with the bad print.

I saw it with a friend who doesn't know anything about this stuff, and was asking me why did it look like that.

What we saw were artifacts all over the place. Bad skin tones. From shot to shot the skin tones would go from pinkish orange to orange to sun burn from hell.

I remember a scene in a restaurant where Jonny Depp is in the foreground, looked nice and warm, the background was outside the resaurant, it was blue and looked as though it had been shot on beta.

It wasn't scratches, or gate weave, or any physical problems with the print it was just really inconsistent.

Flash fire from guns took on a fourescent hue. But I've seen fire on HD look like this in other films too.

I was curious to see it again to see if a different print would look better, but the bad story didn't really motivate me to return for a second viewing.

I applaud Michael Mann in his efforts to venture out and explore the limits of electronic cinematography. Grain or noise are not necissarily a bad thing. The video noise added a grittiness rawness to the LA night time. In real life LA is not all that gritty or raw, its actually rather bland. So I think it was a good choice.

Just want to give my opinion on Collateral.

After watching all the discussions about it, on this forum and on the CML forum as well I went there, was sceptical, but you know what?

It didn´t disturb me at all. Yes, there were differences in quality, but nothing really unacceptable.

A Style, a look, but nothing that took me out of the story.

And I am sure that al the others in the cinema had the same feeling.

Technically speaking you can have comments, but the movie held up nicely and that´s all that matters to me.

I saw this movie in one of Bangkok´s big cinema´s. This city has so many of them and they all show very-very good projections.

I was hoping they had it on D-cinema too, but alas...

Rob van Gelder