Influencial Cinematographers

Michael Louis Hill

Hello all. i was hoping that some of you could educate me further on some of the cinematographers that were most influencial in the past. I think i am pretty familiar with most of the big names of the past few decades but i feel my knowledge of the great cinematographers of the 30s, 40s, and 50s is very weak. Basically i just thought some of you could list some important films and DPS that would be important/enjoyable to look into. Anything past or present would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Premium Member

The August 2004 issue of American Cinematographer focuses on 15 cinematographers who were instrumental in the early days of cinema as well in helping establish the ASC:

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/aug04/founding/index.html

The March 1999 issue of AC features a listing of the Best-Shot Films from 1894-1949 and 1950-1997 and the cinematographers who lensed them:

http://www.theasc.com/magazine/mar99/best/index.htm

Personally I'm in awe of the cinematographers from this time period of cinema. So much of their work is inspirational especially when you consider the parameters they had to work under in the studio system. I try to see as many of their films projected whenever possible. I kinda make it a personal hobby to pick one cinematographer and try to see as many of his films and learn as much as I can about his background and working technique.

Some of my personal favorites from 1920-50's:

James Wong Howe, Greg Toland, Charles Rosher, William Daniels, Jack Cardiff, John Seitz, John Alton, Guy Green, Roland Toteroth, Arthur Edeson, Harold Rossen Ray Rennahan, Gabriel Figueroa, and Leon Shamroy.

• Premium Member

They have some great screenings of older films at the Skirball Cultural Center which will usually be followed by a contemporary filmmaker discussing the film's impact on their career.

UCLA (www.cinema.ucla.edu.) is another great resource, their film preservation department has screenings- last week they screened Elia Kazan's " A Face in The Crowd" . They've also been known to show a series of films over a three day weekend with emphasis on a particular director or cinematographer.

At the Samuel French cinema book store on Sunset Blvd (and a few other locations around LA ) you can pick up a monthly film guide for what's playing on the nightly double bill at the New Beverly Theatre (on Beverly Blvd a few blocks west of La Brea). The guide's very helpful since the films change almost every night. The Laemmle chain also screens oldies throughout their theatres. And the County Museum of Art on Wilshire (near Fairfax) also will have film retrospectives.

Now if you really want to go old school, the Silent Movie Theatre on Fairfax (across from Fairfax High School ) is back in operation thanks to Mr. Charles Lustman. You can see the films of D.W. Griffith, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin and Rudolf Valention in addition to cartoons from the time period. They even have an organist to accompany some of the pictures. One night a week they play talkies like "The Maltese Falcon", "Casablanca" or "Gaslight".

Best bet is to make sure you pick up a copy of The Los Angeles Weekly and/or The OC Weekly on Thursday which lists what's showing in revival houses along with other special events that will screen that weekend .

• Premium Member

UCLA Film Archives, LA County Museum of Art, and American Cinemateque show classic films. Sometimes AMPAS. And the New Beverly, an old-fashioned revival house complete with dim projection. Occasionally at the Nuart and other art house cinemas like the Laemmles (the Laemmles often have classic films at 10 or 11 AM Saturday and Sundays.)

• 3 years later...

Some of my personal favorites from 1920-50's:

James Wong Howe, Greg Toland, Charles Rosher, William Daniels, Jack Cardiff, John Seitz, John Alton, Guy Green, Roland Toteroth, Arthur Edeson, Harold Rossen Ray Rennahan, Gabriel Figueroa, and Leon Shamroy.

I just found this site today. I happen to be a grandnephew of James Wong Howe. My cousin is a librarian in the motion picture library who is an expert in all things related to movies. I hope that someday I can get Jimmie's films on DVD.

Blessings to all!