Which Super 8?

Chris Durham

I want to buy a Super8 camera and I'm looking at several on Ebay. I know that I want either a Nizo or a Canon - Nizos are spoken very highly of and are common, as are Canons - and I've never been dissatisfied with a Canon product. I willing to spend to get a good camera but don't want to spend more than I have to. So I need advice on this from two angles:

1) Is there a significant difference between the two manufactures in terms of optics quality and reliability. For the most part it seems used Nizos are being sold out of Europe and I wonder if the additional shipping cost (which granted isn't huge) is justified by quality. Higher quality would obviously compel me towards a Nizo.

2) Is there a significant difference in strata of product. Are the Nizo 801 or Canon 1014 significantly superior to the Nizo 560 or Canon 814 for instance? They represent an approximately $200 difference in price, which I wonder is justified.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Chris,

I also want some answers - particularly on the canon front (ive heard the nizo's build quality is not nearly as rugged as the canons - i guess making canon more reliable - although this is not based on personal experience)!

Apart from the zoom range, does the 814 and the 1014 really differ that much, because from the few specs ive seen - it would not appear so.

Also... XLS vs Standard model? Obviously the sound aspect is irrelevent (if you dont want to record seperately). I see a time-lapse option on the XLS's but... surely a watch, abit of patience and a cable release can achieve exactly the same results (and perhaps even more fullfilling results, considering the hands on quality time)!?

I guess, like Chris, what I want to know too is... the price difference - is it really worth it?

Adam

From my experience f you have low budget: Nikon R10

high budget: Beaulieu 6008, 7008, 0998

Sound equiped super-8 cameras are irreleavnt nowadays with no sound stocks available. However, the possibility of crystal synch is very important should you want to shoot synh sound.

Hi! Nizos are very nice cameras, not as tough as canons though. Considering age, I suggest you go for a Canon 814AZ electronic (not the older one) if you are on a low budget. You can do some tests, see if it's what you were looking for and if you don't like it you didn't spend a lot plus you can save money for filmstock. Although sound film has been discontinued, sound cameras tend to be quieter than silent ones.

Hope this helps, best regards,

Morales

Edited by Fernando Morales