super 8 to hdv 50i (25 fps)

ARTURO ALMANZA

We have a proyect that will be blown up to 35 mm, it is being recorded in HDV with a Sony HDV Z1 in 50i (at 25fps), and it combines this format with some flash backs that are shot with Super 8, in reversible and negative, in color and in black & white, we would like to know:

1) A trust worthy LAB (nice & cheap) preferebly in New York city

2) Since our proyect will be blown up to 24 fps we would like to know, which is the best way to telesend, whether as a file or on tape to be include with the HDV proyect 1080i at 25 fps and when it is blown up to 35mm at 24 fps to avoid flicker?

3)Opinions on: optical blow up from super 8mm to 35 mm and integrate to finished project blown up to 35mm from HDV 50i Vs. Digital scan from super 8mm to hdv 50i at 25 fps and blow up to 35mm

In New York, you have Pac Lab and DuArt . I haven't used either, so I can't comment on them.

You could also go a little further afield. I have used CineLab in Massachusetts and they have a good reputation and good prices.

As for workflow, I recommend that you get a good HD telecine to 50i (which won't have any interlacing, so really it will look like 25P.) When your completed 50i video is transferred to film, they will simply deinterlace, slow it down 4% and correct the audio pitch -- so your 24fps Super 8 footage will be fine.

There is no need to do an optical blow-up from Super 8 to 35. An HD transfer will capture 99% of the Super 8 look, and save you money and headaches when it comes time to do your film-out.

Edited by David W Scott