8x8 moon box from a condor. suggestions?

adam lukens

• Premium Member
Anyone here done this before? I'm looking for any suggestions. and actually just a picture would be nice, it needs to be rigged off the front.

this is really a grip question. but there are a few ways of doing it. basically you (the grips) need to build a 5 sided 8 x 8 frame then suspend a light inside. maybe two or three nine lights. but like i said this is a a grip thing and a very big one at that. the thing to do is to price out the labor and materials for this rig versus just getting a hellium balloon.

• Premium Member

Another trick is to hang a big silk/butterfly from a cherry picker at an angle and bounce a light into it from the ground. This has two benefits: firtsly, it's easier to rig (still need some rigging, though) and secondly, it's cheaper (because you can use cherry pickers rather than cranes).

I did just this before xmas in an alleyway in east London. I'm including a photo of it below. Blasted a 12K HMI into it (with Peacock Blue filter on that stole at least 1-1,5 stops), but I can't recall the stop I shot at w. the Fuji 400T, sorry.

post-85-1172415911.jpg

I have done this before.

we used mini brutes (9 lights) three of them,

you can run 2 soca lines into the basket, this means you can have

control from the gound and are able to "off" or "on" three bulbs at

a time.

rigging the condor takes a ton of pipe and hard 90's

a good key grip should be able to pull it off and have a

bit of fun wrapping their brain around this little teaser.

I dont' have any photos but the best of luck to ya.

Chris

Another trick is to hang a big silk/butterfly from a cherry picker at an angle and bounce a light into it from the ground. This has two benefits: firtsly, it's easier to rig (still need some rigging, though) and secondly, it's cheaper (because you can use cherry pickers rather than cranes).

I did just this before xmas in an alleyway in east London. I'm including a photo of it below. Blasted a 12K HMI into it (with Peacock Blue filter on that stole at least 1-1,5 stops), but I can't recall the stop I shot at w. the Fuji 400T, sorry.

post-85-1172415911.jpg

Hi Adam,

Couple of quick questions.

Were you using a par or fresnel?

On the HMI's hanging on the wall, what gel are you using, some sort of amber?

I havent seen that blue before, intresting. Was if for a TVC?, was there motivation or you just like the style?

Interesting look overall, i like it.

Thanks, James.

• Premium Member
Hi Adam,

Couple of quick questions.

Were you using a par or fresnel?

On the HMI's hanging on the wall, what gel are you using, some sort of amber?

I havent seen that blue before, intresting. Was if for a TVC?, was there motivation or you just like the style?

Interesting look overall, i like it.

Thanks, James.

Thanks.

That's a 12K HMI Par.

No the lamps on the wall are not HMI's, they're tungsten (I rarely use HMI's unless I have to). Can't recall if they were 650W's or 1K's (think they were 1K's). The filter is called Chrome Orange and works particularly well with tungsten to get that Sodium vapour look.

The blue is one of my favourite gels - the Peacock Blue. It's quite intense, but gives off a nice, deep greenish blue look that is particularly suited to mixing with other colours. Peacock Blue and Pink/Magenta is a very nice combo, for instance. Obviously not suited for subtle things, but the director wanted a lot of colours, so we went for it.