Educational material

Adam Paul

I'm looking for getting some more educational material on the art of cinematography. I already have Film Lighting and Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz (I have the updated version with David Mullen), the ASC manual, 5 C?s of Cinematography and the documentary Visions of Light. I'm now looking for new stuff. I have just ordered The Set Lighting Technician's Handbook by Harry C. Box since I heard it can be useful for those who light their own sets. I'm now considering Reflections and New Cinematographers but I was told they are quite similar. Is this true? Has anybody read both? Which is more worth getting? I'm also considering the Cinematographer Style DVD. How good is it? Is it any similar to Visions of Light?

I?m also wondering if I should get an AC book. Which is best for getting basic and all around knowledge in ACing? Elkins or Hart?s? Thanks.

I'm looking for getting some more educational material on the art of cinematography. I already have Film Lighting and Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz (I have the updated version with David Mullen), the ASC manual, 5 C?s of Cinematography and the documentary Visions of Light. I'm now looking for new stuff. I have just ordered The Set Lighting Technician's Handbook by Harry C. Box since I heard it can be useful for those who light their own sets. I'm now considering Reflections and New Cinematographers but I was told they are quite similar. Is this true? Has anybody read both? Which is more worth getting? I'm also considering the Cinematographer Style DVD. How good is it? Is it any similar to Visions of Light?

I?m also wondering if I should get an AC book. Which is best for getting basic and all around knowledge in ACing? Elkins or Hart?s? Thanks.

Cinematography, screencraft peter ettedgui - best book I've read, second to taht is blain browns Cinematography tehory and practice, its quite technical but links alot of the discussion to films for reference. Paul Wheeler BSC did a nice series of books - the original cinematography was the best, digital cinematography was also good but HD 24p really just discusses the pros of using HD. All about pricing and stuff but it has some pretty detailed in camera menu instructions for the sony f900 if you ever use it.

I'm now considering Reflections and New Cinematographers but I was told they are quite similar. Is this true? Has anybody read both? Which is more worth getting?

The two books are actually pretty different, but both really worth checking out. Reflections is a good mix of the DP's artistic approach towards shooting specific projects and the technical aspects behind achieving the lighting and the look. New Cinematographers tends to focus more on the DP as an artist, and recounts their takes on the numerous projects they have worked on. The two are both worth the price.