Regulations for filming in Italy

Hi,

I am working on a small-scale documentary project, part of which will involve covering some historical events and places. Some of those are in Italy (Rome and Vatican City in particular). I am not being payed for this, it is something I would like to do for educational purposes. Kind of a hobby as well. It should just be myself and a friend who will be speaking to the camera at some of the historic locations. I'll be using a small prosumer camcorder (leaning towards Panasonic AG-HVX200). I do understand that using a tripod can sometimes change one's status, necessitating a filming permit, but I would like to use at least a compact (inconspicuous) tripod at some of the locations, so long as it didn't cause any traffic problems, if they will allow me to without a major hassle. If a tripod is out (or limited to a $$ permit), could possibly use a monopod. What I was wondering about is:

1.Would I fall under the catagory of professional film crew or would I be considered a tourist filming while on vacation?

2.If I were to be classified as an ordinary tourist, how should I deal with any inquiries by local authorities regarding my filming activities?

3.If I would need to obtain permits, etc, how much money is this going to run? And where to obtain these permits?

4.Is there a local contact anyone knows about that could "grease the wheels" for me (for a fee, of course) where I would come out ahead in the end?

Any info would be much appreciated--especially from someone who has worked in Italy.

Thanks!

This is the website for the association that takes care of all the permits to shoot on historical locations in Rome

www.romacinemafilmcommission.it

but they still don't have an english version (shame!)

This is the document with all the prices for the permits but you have to find out in which category your locations belong.

film_commission.doc

I hope this can help you in some way.

Good luck.

Simona